When it hurts like thorns .

BACK STORY:2 years ago

All I knew was one moment, my eyes are shut and then the next they aren't. After hearing a sudden noise coming from downstairs, it was like shouting and screaming with a mix of broken glass.
I shot up from my bed all I could think about was my mom.

"Mom!" I ran down with a bat in my hand seeing that the battle had already been won, not by God but by her. A man who HAD the title of being her boyfriend was there, lying face first on the ground with glass smashed around him. All I could do was look at my mother and wonder what happened. "Mom" I said with a worried panting breath.
"My son you need to leave" she whispers, and I frown at her like she was crazy. " I'm sorry?" I knew what she said, and I wish I hadn't heard the rest of it.

"Listen to me, you need to go stay with your dad, okay?" She looked at me regretfully.

I could not argue back to her, there was too much going on and I did not have time for the screaming. I grabbed my mother's hands and held them; I kissed them both as I seen tears in her eyes. My mom had been dealing with this drunk for 1 year, I never understood why because he wasn't handsome,tall,nice,gentle or had a job. I've always had my mommas back and I never felt that would change until today.

My mom and dad separated when I was about 16, that was about 3 years go which makes me 19. Me and my mom both work I help with the food in the house and sometimes sneak some money in her purse for the bills. We live in New York now away from my dad in Florida, so my chances of having my own place was low in my defense. I am not paying such amount for a place out here when I needed to go to college too. At least that how I thought before I realized mid packing I would be schooling in Florida. With that being said I was happy to know I didn't have to live with him long, I would find a job, then find a place and send money to my mom when she needed it even if she didn't. I would have my priorities straight, and the life I wanted. People would always question me or my mom about the guy she WAS dating at church, I would blow them off because like my momma would say. "What happens in this house stays in this house" but little did she know I was telling my homie everything. He had been with me since day one of me moving out here. He lives right next door; his mom allowed me to come over whenever my mom was at work, and I was home alone with that drunk. I was definitely blessed to have her; in fact, she is the one who started teaching me about God. Sometimes I didn't wanna hear it when it came to me being wrong in a situation but she dang sure made sure I heard it. She was always right, and she always read me like a book, she was like my spiritual mom. Man, I'll miss her, especially my homie,especially my mom. The next day my mom bought me a plane ticket and shooed my out the door after she gave me her final kiss on the head, I went to my friend's house next door so he could drop me off at the airport. Soon as I entered, I seen his mom smiling with a lunch box in her hand that had a note stuck to it, "have a safe trip with your hungry kit" I cringed a little.

"Thank you, Mrs. Colleen" I hugged her, and she hugged back.

"Oh, baby it's nothing" she smiled warmly. She is a mixed lady, black and Mexican.

She was always the sweetest, she was pretty short so I can imagine people used to adore her especially with her small voice you would think she was shy, but once she gets to talking about God there's no going back.

"He should be out in a minute I think he's getting his shoes" she speaks again.
I nod in response and take a seat on the couch.

"Baby I have a word for you "she appears in front of me.

"Oh yes ma'am?"I was actually interested to hear it.

She started again "I know you are making a big adjustment in life; I can't imagine how you feel."

I look at her and smile "yeah it's a-lot to take in." my smile fades.

She stared at me a minute "you will learn how to power through it, God will see you though and he will guide you to where you need to be. And for you I see."

She paused and covered her mouth, I frown "you see what? Don't leave me on a cliff hanger now" I joke.
She laughs and then goes back serious "you are gonna be Gods mouthpiece.

" I just stare in confusion "Uh huh-" I hear my friend rush down "come on come on we're late" he screams.

I look at him crazy "we got 4 hours." I got up walked to the door.
He laughed and ran out the house without me. His mom said one last thing.

"Malachi, just know you will get through it even if it hurts like thorns."