20: Love and Trust

❃ Evangeline ❃

Segi was crying in my arms.

I could feel my heart sinking further with each passing second. I wish I could have been there with him through his past lives, through every step of the way.

Ever since I dropped into this world, Segi has been accompanying me as the little rabbit. His company comforted me, his presence never made me feel lonely. There were nights I cried to myself as I recalled my past life.

Every single time that happened, Segi nuzzled his small body against my face.

Every single action from him encouraged me. Reminded me.

"I'm here with you, don't worry. You are not alone."

"Smile. Don't cry."

"Treasure yourself. They are not worth your tears."

"Eva, learn to love yourself. Prioritize yourself first."

He taught me how to move forward. He taught me the meaning of self-importance.

I have finally loved myself more than anyone else, because no one will love me as much as I do. The life of Evangeline belonged to me and me alone.

...but now, I want nothing more than to extend my love to this vampire.

Whether he spilled blood with those hands willingly or not, whether he has hurt those around him or not, I did not care for it now. He is still the same Segi that accompanied me on those lonely nights.

"I'm here for you, Segi. You won't be alone anymore."

"...even though I'm not a good person?"

"I don't care who or what you are. To me, you are the Segi who have always protected me and cared for me."

"..."

His hand moved to my waist, and he tightened his grip on me. I smiled, soothing him with my hand on his back.

"Eva! You...do you really believe his words?"

My smile faltered and I wanted to withdraw from the hug to speak properly to Aaron. However, Segi maintained his firm grip on me, refusing to let go. Aaron stood up from the couch, staring down at both of us.

"Of course I do." I replied, turning my head to look at Aaron.

"He murdered my entire clan! He's a certified murderer!"

"Your clan murdered thousands of vampires as well."

"Well..." Aaron trailed off awkwardly, clearing his throat and shook his head. "Even so, I refuse to allow you to be captured by his charms! He's a vampire!"

"Vampire or not, it doesn't change the fact that Segi has stuck by my side so far, and protected me."

"I protected you too..." Aaron grumbled out, upset.

"I know, and I have repaid you for that. I won't ever forget it, Aaron, but right now, I want to stay by Segi's side." I said, meeting Aaron's eyes with a determined stare. "No matter what you say or do, I will believe in him. I want to be there for Segi."

"..."

Aaron lowered his head, a conflicted look on his charming, boyish face.

"...fine," he responded, seemingly reluctant. "I don't trust him, but...I trust you. I don't want to make you hate me."

My smile finally returned and I raised my free hand to touch Aaron on his arm.

"Thank you."

Just as my hand touched his arm, Segi lifted his head and pulled my hand back. There was a hint of jealousy in his red eyes, and I wanted to laugh at his pettiness until I saw his tear-stained face.