Chapter 4 - Something There That Wasn't There Before

Those two were having lunch together! Now that wasn't fair. She agreed to be friends with Cilla and have lunch with her, but she didn't want to come into Graceland and have dinner? They were even going to ride horses together!

I huffed through my nose in annoyance as I watched the two young women out there near the roses, and I was looking through the little window in the den that faced the backyard. I could almost feel the seconds tick away. Maybe that was a part of the spell. It was like a tingling sensation at every tick whenever I thought about it. I had never been so hyper-focused on time passing before. It was a feeling down in my bones now that this all was actually happening.

Maybe Sam being friends with Cilla was meant to happen. I wasn't thrilled about her talking with very many other people, but maybe this was a way for Sam to get closer to me.

Did I want her to get closer to me? If I wanted to keep my fame, she had to be. Plus, she seemed like a pretty swell person. She loved horses, she loved beautiful plants, and she wasn't a fan of me. I had no idea what music she liked to listen to. Maybe I would casually ask her sometime. If she was meant to be in my life, we had to have a least some musical things in common.

I left the window and went into the kitchen that was void of any people. Lunch wouldn't be made until one, and it was only noon. But maybe a snack. I opened the pantry and got out a loaf of bread and peanut butter. One could only guess what I wanted to make.

My heart jumped when I heard footsteps come into the kitchen, and I saw Cilla come in, and her hair was back in a long ponytail, and she was wearing a purple blouse with black slacks. "Oh, hey," she greeted me with a smile, and I smiled in return.

"Hey, baby. You havin' a nice lunch out there with the hired help?"

"We are, and her name is Sam, Elvis," she said with a tone. "And I like her. She's very down-to-earth and pretty smart. I'm just in here to grab some of those leftover chocolate chip cookies that Gertrude made last night. Thought we'd have them for dessert."

"They're over by the sink in a brown paper bag."

She looked over and instantly saw it. She went over to it and opened it. I asked casually as I was making my sandwich, and I was cutting up a banana, "So... what have you two been talkin' about? Girl stuff?"

"The only girl things we talked about was fashion. She doesn't like to dress up all that much, but I do, and she would like to learn how to dress up while I would like a good reminder on how to dress down. That's what we talked about."

My brows creased, and I looked over at her as she came and stood near me. She smelled of her perfume and the outside. "You wanna dress down? You look fine."

"We've had this talk before, Elvis," she droned. "You know how I feel about what I have to wear. Plus, I'm not saying I'll do it, I'm saying I need to be reminded to do so. Sam said to just not put in effort. She said to not wear makeup and just throw on a blouse and pants. And not do my hair, just wash it and that's it."

It irked me that Sam didn't like dressing up. Well, no one said she had to be my lover. Cilla on the other hand... "I say you don't do any of that."

"I already said I wasn't. I like doing my hair and makeup, and I like dressing up. It's just... a lot sometimes. Never mind. Well, I'm heading back out."

She about left, but I stopped her by saying her name. "So... you two talk about music at all?"

Her thin brows creased a little. "No, why?"

"Nothin'. Have fun. And... I'm glad you see Sam as a friend. You two couldn't be more different."

"I think we're rather similar in some ways. See you later."