Chapter 11 - A New and Unexpected Friendship Blossoms

Lux pawed my face as I lay in bed. Another week passed, and Elvis was demanding that I show up. I could hear him screaming at me in my mind. It took every ounce of willpower to not give in to his pleadings for the past week, to not show myself so I could see his handsome, smiling face... those lips that I kissed...

"Lux, I really shouldn't have gotten so involved," I moaned to my cat as I rolled over in bed, and I was staring right at her face, and her big, yellow eyes were looking at me and stood out in her black fur. "I should've just cast the spell, gave him some instructions, and left him to let the spell work. Golly, I can feel how disappointed my ancestors are in me right now. They wouldn't let themselves fall hopelessly in love with their subject."

I sprang up, spooking Lux, and she bounced off the bed, but looked up at me and meowed. I huffed through my nose, attempting to forget all of this. I could make myself something that could make me forget what happened, but it would wear off, and I would recall those magical moments with him again.

"I think I should eat some breakfast," I said and got out of bed in my black nighty that was a black dress that went to floor and had a layer of black lace over the black fabric of the dress. There were also deep-red little bows adorning the front like buttons. It was modest and covered my shoulders. "You need your breakfast, too."

Lux meowed again, and we were off to the kitchen. I opened the refrigerator and found it pretty sparce. I opened cupboards. The same thing. I settled on some toast with raspberry jam and sat down at the table while I heard Lux eating her breakfast near me on the floor. It was time to go grocery shopping. I really hated doing it since I had to be out and about with people, and I had to disguise myself.

The way Elvis looked at me in that ball dress came to mind, as well as the other times he had looked at me in my usual get-up. Well, he was probably the only person who could look at me and smile. He even said that my attire was me, that it fit me, the same with that ball dress. If only people could be like him and accept me for what I was and looked like...

But they weren't. There would always be judgements and stares, and children would run for their mother if they saw me. That hurt a little since, well... like any other woman, I wanted to be a mother eventually. Just... finding a man... Elvis was out of the question, no matter how he felt about me or how I felt about him. Plus, he loved another woman.

"Okay, Lux, would you like to come with me to the market?" I asked my cat, and she looked up at me with those shocking eyes. "But you'll have to be in your carrier." She meowed at me, and I giggled. "Alright, let's get going. But first..."

I transformed myself into the "normal" girl with the drab outfit. I kept my black hair. I headed for my purse hanging on a hook near the door, and I heard a voice in my head, stopping me.

Ignis, please... I wanna see ya. Please... Stop stayin' away from me.

His pleading pulled at my heartstrings, and I felt tears sting my eyes. I had to respond to him since I hadn't done it in days. I said, knowing he could hear me in his head, "You know that I can't, Elvis, and you why. Pay attention to Sam."

Thank the Lord, you're still talkin' to me! And you know why I can't go to Sam. She wants nothin' to do with me. She never leaves the greenhouse when she's here.

Lux was at my feet. She knew that I was leaving, and she most likely had an idea that she was coming along since she saw that I had her carrier ready by the door. I told Elvis, "She's staying away from you for a reason."

Yeah, the same reason as you—I'm too much of a temptation.

He wasn't wrong at all, but... "There's more to it, and you know that. You know why I can't. Just pay attention to her. She's right near you, and you have feelings for her. You fell in love with her."