Chapter 7 - From the Moment that I Met Him, Saw Him...

I hope you're liking the story! I hope you all are catching the little Beauty and the Beast references.

~ ~ ~

I was dreaming. Elvis Presley had feelings for me? And was about to kiss me? How was this humanly possible? Well, no matter how possible it was, I didn't want to start anything with him. He was the most famous man in the world, and he had an image to uphold. I was a beast compared to him, and no matter what anyone said, that was a fact. Yes, I had a confidence boost because of what Elvis told me, but others would think what they would. Nothing could be done about that, no matter how high I held my head.

The next day, and as I said, I came back to Graceland, and Dad was thrilled to have me back. I didn't want to tell him exactly what happened. I just told him that Elvis found me and convinced me to come back. I didn't want to mention the "wolves" that attacked me.

I glanced at the shed once I was in the backyard, and I said nothing as Dad and I got to our tasks. Elvis never showed his face in the backyard for the whole day, and neither did Cilla. Were they both avoiding me? Did Cilla know about what happened?

The end of my shift soon came without seeing one glimpse of anyone from the household, aside from Gertrude who was getting sheets off of a line in the backyard. She was working on that around five, which was about an hour before dinner. Would she know what everyone was up to? I saw at least a couple people from the household out in the back every day. As I was getting my gardening gear together, I eyed the woman.

I found myself approaching her, and I walked out from behind a white sheet. She gasped, then put a hand to her heart. "Dear me, Sam, you startled me."

"Sorry about that. I just... well... I suppose I wanted to ask you something."

"And what is that, dear?"

"Was everyone gone today? Like Elvis and company? I saw no one all day."

She got back to what she was doing. I started helping her fold that long white sheet. "Well, no, everyone wasn't gone. The house was full, but everyone just decided to stay inside. Actually, Elvis requested that they all have a day indoors. I have no idea why, but I learned to keep my nose out of Elvis's business. At least most of the time."

I was up close to her as we were finishing folding the sheet, and I saw the candidness in her eyes. "What do you mean? What's going on with Elvis?"

She cleared her throat. "Nothing you need to worry about. He just has a lot on his mind. It comes with being the most famous man in America and Europe."

"There's more to it, though." We finished off folding, and she put it in her basket with other folded sheets of every color. "Right? I have a feeling it has to do with that thorn bush behind the shed. He lost it what he found me looking at it."

"Yes, he mentioned that, how he had to go rescue you from some hecklers after you ran off due to you and him having a fight. But I'm not going to say any more, okay?"

"But there is more, since you said you can't say more. What's that man hiding?"

It had to be something huge, since a man who looked like him wouldn't come to have feelings for a girl who looked like me. It was stuff of pure fantasy. Unrealistic.

"Like I said, don't worry yourself over it. Now..." She turned her head. "Oh, there's Priscilla. She escaped."

My heart jumped, and I looked over to see Cilla, stunning as ever, with her hair long and draped far passed her shoulders. She had an apologetic look on her face as she stared at me. I excused myself from Gertrude and went up to my friend.