Chapter 12 - Pretty Girls Make Fools Out of Wise Men

As a reference, the date in this chapter is August 3, 1965.

~ ~ ~

France?! How could even think that? She wanted to get away from me that much? It seemed so since she hadn't spoken to me in two weeks, nor had Sam. Seriously, these girls were driving me nuts and were making a fool out of me. What was really making me curious was what Ignis was doing or what was going on when she was thinking about just going to France after this all was over.

I was sitting on a lawn chair in the back as I was thinking about this, and as the heat of mid-summer in Memphis surrounded me. I had my radio with me, playing some blues songs, and my man Billy Crudup was singing away. At least he was making me happy in this moment. I remade his song, and I shot into fame.

That fame could go away if these girls didn't get their acts together. But did I want to accept them? My heart was with the both of them. I saw Sam every day, so I was thinking about her all the time, and I was always demanding that Ignis say something to me, so I was thinking about her all the time, too. I was very conflicted.

Sam came out of the greenhouse, and she saw me. She stopped what she was doing and stared at me for a moment. Then she started walking up to me! My heart started racing, and I sat up in my chair.

It was about time she do something. Well, I could've, but I was a man of my word, and I never entered the greenhouse if she was in there... and she was always in there, even for her lunch break. She was there for the beginning of her shift to the end.

I couldn't help but admire her feminine form as I watched her walk up to me in a pretty bland outfit of a white shirt and brown shorts, and the white had some dirt stains on it. Her hair was up in a ponytail, and the sun caught the natural highlights. Her brown and blue eyes were, as always, an incredible sight. I smiled as she came up to me.

"Hey," I greeted her, and I turned down my radio on the little table next to me. "Long time no talk."

"Yes, and I apologize for that."

"No need. You've been busy."

She had her hands behind her back. "That's not an excuse. Um... listen..." Her face was turning pink, and I found that cute. "I wanted to show you the inside of the greenhouse."

"I saw it just yesterday, the inside. I think it's beautiful. You did a really swell job."

She had no idea I went in last night and looked around the greenhouse after she left. "Thank you. I didn't know you saw it."

"Looks just like Hawaii. I sure miss it there."

"Would you like to take a look at it again? There are things you might've not seen when you went into the greenhouse last night."

My mind started going with some thoughts, and I smirked and gave her a sly look and a raised brow. "Is there a reason you're insistin' on me takin' a look again? With you? You've been here half the summer, so I can read ya like a book by now."

She cleared her throat and looked off to the side. I snickered as I knew she was trying to think about something to say to that. Maybe I shouldn't make her too uncomfortable. She was willingly asking me to go take a look in the greenhouse with her. I stood out of the chair.

"Okay, okay, never mind. Let's head to the greenhouse."

She nodded, and we both started walking over there. I glanced at her and saw her ponytail bobbing. She sure was cute in a ponytail. What would Ignis look like in a ponytail? She always had her dark hair down and waving.

No, I shouldn't be thinking of that beautiful enchantress that entranced me, and not just from that literal spell she put on me.

"Wow-wee, it's a scorcher out here," I said, trying to make conversation.