Chapter 8 - Graceland's Greenhouse Effect

A greenhouse? He wanted to me start working on a greenhouse? That was out of the clear blue for sure. But maybe it was just to distract me from what was going on...

How in the blazes could he think about ending his relationship with Cilla? He fell for girls all the time, so it shouldn't compel him to end it with Cilla. Maybe he was tired of hurting her from cheating on her and treating her like his doll. Well, and I would be perfectly honest, I was glad that the relationship would be kaput. That meant that Cilla would be able to live her own life without anything holding her back. But... would she still be my friend? Elvis strongly insinuated that he wanted to end it with her because of me.

Which was so farfetched. Just about the same as him feeling anything romantic for me.

"Dad, did Elvis tell you about a greenhouse he wants me to start?" I asked my father as we were coming in for the day the next morning.

"Yes, he mentioned it before I left last night, which was after you left. I think it's a great idea."

We came into the backyard, and we saw something that wasn't there the day before: a bunch of green glass paneling in the yard. Both mine and my father's jaws dropped. "Oh my word, he meant starting it right away!"

"Elvis doesn't joke around, Sam. Seems like there are guys there to put it up, but then you will have to fill it. I don't really know of any place that sells tropical plants in Memphis."

"They're comin' straight from Hawaii," we heard behind us, and we turned around and found Elvis coming up to us as the men in the yard were starting to haul all the glass walls to a corner of the garden. He looked amazing in black slacks and a dress shirt to match his eyes. "I'm plannin' on makin' the call today."

"I thought you wanted Sam to start it up," said Dad.

"Those guys there will set it up, I will be responsible for gettin' the plants, then Sam will be responsible for organizin' 'em and takin' care of 'em." He glanced at me, and my heart jumped. "I take it you know your tropical plants, right?"

"Of course," I said. "I've studied them extensively throughout my life."

"Wonderful. Now, we will leave those guys to set up the buildin', which should take the day, and the plants will hopefully arrive in a week. I'm gonna pay extra to get 'em here by plane instead of boat."

"There's no need for that," I said. "Um..." This was all lunacy! But I was rather excited for this whole project. Tropical plants were my favorite type of plants. "Just let whoever you call take their time. No rush."

He rose a brow. "Okay. Promise you won't go nowhere?"

I knew he meant quitting. "I promise."

"Okay, then. I'll leave you two to your work. And if you want, you can go and help out those guys with settin' up the greenhouse."

He left us, and I watched after him. I followed him and stopped him right at the back door. "Hey, Elvis." He turned around. "I have a question. Um... why are you doing all this? Suddenly wanting to put in a greenhouse?"

He smirked rather adorably, but I tried not to focus on that. "I said that I've always wanted to put one in, and now seemed like a good time to do it."

"When I'm here? After everything that's happened?"

He cocked his head a little. "What are you really askin', Sam? Did I suddenly wanna do this for you?" He wasn't wrong. I said nothing. "Well, I'd be lyin' if I said no. It's partly because of you. I wanna be on your good side."

"Who says you aren't already?" I asked a little too quickly, and he smiled. I felt heat rise in my cheeks, and he noticed and snickered.

"Well, that's good, then. At least you're not avoidin' me."