Chapter 9 - Independence Day: Tale as Old as Time

The 4th of July came the next day, and all the people who worked at Graceland had the day off. Unfortunately. I didn't see Sam for the rest of the day after what happened in the greenhouse. Hugh told me that she left right after he saw her leave the greenhouse. I didn't want to know if he saw me kiss his daughter in there. He never mentioned it, he just relayed a message from Sam: after the 4th, she would be at work in the greenhouse, and she wouldn't leave the greenhouse. Meaning, I wouldn't be able to talk to her or see her since I wasn't allowed in.

This wouldn't do. I had to see her. I had to talk to her about what happened between us. That kiss shook me up, and it did her, too. Plus, it was her first kiss. It should be talked about.

I sat there in my basement on a sofa around seven in the morning, trying to think up a plan for the day. Us here at Graceland had our holiday traditions and what we would do during the day... I just wanted to figure out how to incorporate the odd-looking girl that I fell for and had kissed in a way that caused a zing to shoot up my spine. I couldn't think of anything.

"What do you think I should do, Ignis?" I asked, wherever she was, and I knew she could hear me. Silence. It had been radio silence since I last saw her. Usually, I was hearing her talk to me at least once a day.

"Both of those girls are avoidin' me, and I know the reason for at least one of 'em. Okay, Ignis, I know you can hear me. Why have you been avoidin' me, huh?" Nothing. "C'mon."

I leaned my head back so I was looking up at the ceiling. A few minutes passed, then I heard a familiar female voice in my head, You don't need to be babysat, Elvis.

My heart jumped, and I sprang up and looked around. "Ignis? I heard ya there. And I just want to know, that's all. You know what happened." I smirked, thinking of an idea. "Hey, I wanted to meet your cat, remember? Big yellow eyes, right? Like an owl?"

She said nothing for a minute, then, If any of your friends or family hear you talking to yourself, they'll think you've gone insane. Over and out.

I laughed out loud. "We're not usin' a walkie-talkie, you know. And none of 'em are up yet. C'mon, throw me a bone here. It's a holiday. You celebrate holidays, don't chya?"

Five minutes passed, according to the clock, and nothing. I sat down in my black sofa again and waited. What was she thinking? She knew I was waiting for a response, so she had to say something soon.

Your patience is admirable.

I grinned. "There you are. I like this instant messaging thing that we have goin' on here."

If only we lived in the future.

"Wait a minute, what? Why? You can see into the future, too?"

I'm an enchantress. Of course I can. But we'll talk about that later. If you really want to see my cat, then I can bring her to your place. She can transport with me.

It was like my life turned to a fantasy novel. Either that, or a sci-fi one. "How 'bout I come to you? Where do you live, huh?"

You don't want to see my place.

"I think I do. What does the home of an enchantress look like? Is it somethin' from a witch movie with all those odd spell ingredients on shelves and boilin' cauldron in the center of the room?" She said nothing, and my brows shot up. "No way, it is? I have to see it, then!" She still said nothing. "Are you embarrassed or somethin'?"

It's not that. Well, that's maybe part of it. I'm just a solitary creature. I don't like anyone coming to my home.

"But we're friends now, aren't we? And you're supposed to spend some time with family and friends on a holiday. You told me that you and your family are sour with each other, and you insinuated that you don't have other friends, so... why not let me come and visit ya for a little bit? Plus, you've been to my place often enough. It's only fair that I see your place."