Chapter 6 - Rescuing the Damsel from the Wolves

My heart was trying to pound its way out of my chest. I sat there on the right side of the stairway going up to the front door, a place Elvis wouldn't be able to see me if he rounded the house. I feared that he would come looking for me, but Cilla came up to him at the exact right time. What was this about a girl wearing a black, lacy Victorian dress? It didn't matter. I needed to round the house again before those two come this way.

I scurried the best I could and rounded the house on the right side and stood near a rose bush, my heart still beating faster. I put a hand on the small of my waist. No guy had ever touched me there, much less held me there. And no guy had looked into my eyes like that and called me beautiful.

It was an enchanting moment... but one that shouldn't happen again. He was my employer and the most famous man in the country.

I couldn't help it, though, him holding me, even from keeping me from falling. It sent jitters through me when it happened, and it still was as I was thinking about it.

He was such a beautiful man, I could hardly take it. But I couldn't like him... even though I already did.

"Sam!"

I gasped and nearly fell over as Dad walked up to me, hands on his hips. "Yeesh, Dad, don't scare me like that. People have been doing that a lot today."

"You were off in dreamland just now. I was callin' your name three times before you heard me. What were you thinkin' about, huh?"

My heart went faster, and I felt those jitters again as well as my neck and face heating. "Nothing. Never mind. Did you need something?"

"I was just wonderin' if you could help me spread some soil over by those hydrangea bushes." He smirked slyly. "Your whole face is red. What happened, huh?"

"I told you never mind. Let's get to those hydrangea bushes."

I passed him, and he followed. "You may not have grown up with me, but I know you well enough now to know that you get flustered pretty easily. And... I might add that a person blushes like that when they're either very embarrassed or in love. Which is it?"

He wouldn't leave this alone until I told him. "Maybe a bit of both."

"Ah, I see. Something happened with Elvis. He has the power to affect any women, including you who blatantly said you wanted nothing to do with him."

"I do, it's just..." I groaned in annoyance. "I hate this. Dad, I need to work somewhere else."

"But you're doing a great job here. Just let whatever happened slide."

Easier said than done. "Let's just not talk about it anymore, okay?"

He consented, and we got to the hydrangea bushes with big bunches of little blue flowers and started spreading fresh soil all over the bed. About twenty minutes passed before both Dad and I felt a presence behind us, and we both turned around to see Cilla standing there. She looked flustered and worried. I stood up. "Cilla, what's the matter?"

She took my hand, regardless that I was using it to spread the dirt around. She pulled me to the back veranda, and we both sat down on one of those cushioned outdoor sofas. Cilla was staring off at nothing.

"Cilla, what happened?"

"Elvis told me something really crazy, and I'm not allowed to tell you about it, I just... I don't know how to take it. I just need reassurance that my boyfriend hasn't gone completely nuts. That the King of Rock 'N' Roll hasn't gone completely nuts. Please, just say it."

"I... Well, I can't say he's nuts for certain unless I know what he told you."

She shook her head, swishing her long brown hair. She was so pretty here, it was irritating, but I dismissed that since she was my friend who was in distress. "I can't tell you. He told specifically that I couldn't tell a soul, especially you. If he sees you and I talking here..." She whimpered. "Oh, Lord... Elvis is going to fall in love with another woman again! I thought I would be okay with it, but after hearing what he said... No! I want him to be mine! He's always been mine! I've always seen him for him and not the famous person that he is. Well, maybe I'm his fan, but your loved ones are your biggest fans when you're famous, right?"