Her pain

She just wanted to forget.

Forget everything.

Forget the pain.

Forget the heartache.

Forget the suffering.

Forget them all.

And the only way to forget was the pills.

The pills.

The fuckin pills.

Pills.

Pills.

PILLS!!!

Her empty eyes stared into space as her fingers clenched around the bottle containing the pills.

Yes.

The were the only way to forget.

She just wanted to forget.

Wanted to.

Just forget.

She wanted to forget dammit.

With the sudden rush of memories, she hurled the bottle in despair and pulled her hair as the pills scattered on the floor.

She screamed.

"ARGH!"

"ARGH!"

The girl began banging her head on the wall.

She wanted to forget.

The pain...

It's too much.

IT'S TOO FUCKING MUCH!

One minute there was a deranged look on her face as she whipped her head and stared at the scattered pills on the floor the next she was scooping them from the floor into her mouth like a starved beast.

Must forget.

Must forget.

The pain...

It's too much.

It's too much!

Soon every last pill was devoured by her not caring about the consequences and finally the familiar emptiness entered her being as she lay on the floor.

Forgetting the pain.

Forgetting the suffering.

Forgetting everything.

The only thing she did was stare at the wall blankly.

The girl had truly...lost herself.

~~~~

Carl sighed in exhaustion and relief having finally finished marking the last paper. The other teachers in the staff common room were either joking around or busy like he was.

He usually didn't like such crowded places such as this but it was better to make friends with his fellow teachers and what better way than this place.

His train of thought was interrupted when Ms Carter, the Chemistry teacher, took a seat beside him with a smile on her face.

"Hey there Mr Brooks." She said smiling.

Carl only gave her a polite smile, "Hello Ms Carter."

Ms Carter pressed her lips in a thin line.

Soon a smile once again took over her features. "We never really got a chance to talk aside from the occasional science partner ups. A few teachers and I are planning on going to a bar this evening being a Friday and all, and I thought I'd personally invite you." Her smile got bigger.

Carl's smile got a bit uncomfortable. "Thank you Ms Carter for the lovely invitation really. But I have other plans that would rather keep me occupied. Sorry." He said apologetically. So much for making friends with his fellow teachers.

"Oh." Ms Carter said in disappointed with her lips pressed in a thin line.

"It's okay. I don't want to ruin your evening." She got up to join the other teachers and Carl was kind of ashamed to admit but he felt he could finally breathe properly with her gone.

He definitely dodged a bullet there.

Soon everyone left and it was left with only Carl. He looked at the last paper he marked and his curiousity increased when he saw that the paper belonged to Alessia, the girl he saw was consumed by sadness.

His pity increased when he saw that she didn't really do well in the test, almost to the point of failure and his determination to know this girl surfaced when he began looking for other subjects he was sure she did and what he found quite surprised him.

These books and test he found about Alessia dated from last year to now. Her earlier works were astonishing, brilliant even. She continued to excel in her subjects until some months ago when she began to drop dramatically.

There were remarks from her teachers on her books and reports cards, some sounding worried at the fall of such an exceptional student. He also realized that sometimes she would not even participate in the test or miss school.

Suddenly, Carl was filled with a burning desire to know and help this girl. From what he didn't know yet. But he was determined to find out.

He was afraid such an extraordinary student was on the verge of collapse if she wasn't already and he had to religuish that fire before it was too late