The Family Madrigal

Mirabel rose from bed, yawned, and quickly got dressed. Grabbing her dress from her desk as Casita pushed her shoes toward her. Mirabel smiled and removed a stray string from her skirt. Took a breath and left the comfort of her room.

She slid down the stairs, "Morning Abelo!" She waved to a portrait of her late Abelo Pedro. Maribel walked into the dining room where
(Y/N) was setting the table. Mirabel walked forward and grabbed a few plates.

"You're up early," (Y/N) said, her eyes gazing into Mirabel's brown ones.

"Well it's Antonio's big day, we have a lot to do!" Mirabel responded as she placed the last few plates in their respective spots. (Y/N) smiled, the two girls were best friends. (Y/N) was a month older than Mirabel, and they had been interpretable from a young age.

In Mirabel's opinion (Y/N) sort of played peacemaker for the younger Madrigals, Abuela and Pepa had never seemed to really like her, (though Pepa was better at hiding it) and Mirabel wasn't sure why but she knew that the subject of (Y/N)'s parents had always been a sore subject.

"Hey! When's the gift gonna happen!" The girls turned at the unexpected voice. Three village kids had gathered outside the window.

"Our cousin's ceremony is tonight," (Y/N) responded.

"What's his gift?"

"We're gonna find out!" Mirabel said, a smile playing on her lips.

"What's your gift?"

(Y/N) and Mirabel looked at eachother, sharing a moment of understanding as they came to a silent agreement with each other,

"Who's asking?" (Y/N) asked, helping Mirabel avoid the subject.

"Us!" The three kids responded.

"Well "us" we can't just talk about ourselves," Mirabel said, pointedly avoiding the question once more.

"Where only part of the amazing Madrigals," (Y/N) said, saving Mirabel from having to make up an excuse.

"Who are the amazing Madrigals?" The kids were persistent, Mirabel wasn't gonna get out of talking to them.

           "You're not gonna leave us alone are you?" Mirabel asked, "Casita help us out! Drawers!" The drawers on the cabinets banged together as they opened and closed. "Floors!" The floors moved, "Doors!" The doors circling in the centre of the casita glowed.

             (Y/N) and Mirabel exited the house and were surrounded by the eager kids. "This is our home. We've got every generation," (Y/N) motioned to the house. "It's so full of music! Like..." She paused.

"A rhythm of its own design!" Mirabel jumped in, "This is our family, a perfect constellation!"
"So many stars and everybody gets to shine!"
(Y/N) smiled as the kids pressed closer in order to hear what they had to say more clearly.

"But let's be clear, Abuela runs this show," Mirabel explained. "She led us here so many years ago."

"And every year our family blessings grow! There's just a lot you've simply got to know!" (Y/N) and Mirabel moved towards the town.

"All the people are fantastical and magical and we're part of the Family Madrigal!" The doors of the casita opened and the rest of the family excited and started heading into town.

"Oh my gosh, it's them!" One kid said.

"What are the gifts? I can't remember all the gifts!" Another exclaimed.

"But I don't know who is who." The kids crowded closer pleading with the girls to tell them more.

"Alright, alright, relax," (Y/N) said, motioning for the kids to give them space.