Hermana y Hermano

Pepa trudged through the rain, her dress soaked, as it often was, her hair a mess, the family falling apart. It was almost as bad as the day Bruno left. Pepa had thought she would never see him again, and she couldt think of how she might apologise when the time came.

Mirabel managed to catch up with Pepa as she started a trail leading through the tall mountains surrounding the Encanto. The two women trudged through the rain, Pepa crossed her arms as they crossed over a ridge and onto flat ground.

They walked in silence, there was nothing to discuss. As the two Madrigals turned a corner they saw three people standing by a river. They were all circled in a hug, and it took Pepa a second to recognize the woman hugging (Y/N).

"Maria?" She stepped back a little, not knowing what to do.

Bruno looked up and protectively wrapped an arm around Marias shoulder, "Yes, hermana."

(Y/N) looked at Mirabel, her eyes shining with fresh tears from the day's events, but nonetheless, she looked happy. They were together as a family, together at last and Pepa felt her heart soften. Maria had never done anything to deserve her hatred, she had simply been different. Mirabel seemed to piece together what was happening and smiled, stepping back, allowing Pepa some space.

"I am so sorry." She directed this at all three of them, Pepa knew she had messed up, she knew she wouldn't be forgiven, but (Y/N) still stepped forward and smiled.

"Love, in all its forms, is the most powerful weapon we have." She took Pepas hand, "Because love is a form of hope. And like hope, love abides. In the face of everything."

"You forgive me?"

(Y/N) smiled, "Hate is too strong an emotion to waste on someone you don't like."

"Hey." Pepa laughed a little.

(Y/N) looked at her mother and becender her over, Maria obliged and Bruno followed, "We're capable of the most incredible change." She looked at all three of the older Madrigals, Maria included, "We can evolve while still staying true to who we are. We can honour who we've been and choose who we want to be next." She looked Pepa in the eyes, "Now's your chance."

"I was wrong," Pepa looked at Maria, "seeing you here, now, made me realise how wrong I truly was."

"It's okay." Maria pulled Pepa into a hug, "I forgive you."