A Sky Full of Stars

(Y/N) and Mirabel lugged the Harvey basket into the casita, people rushed around decorating and cleaning, causing them to bump into some on their way to the kitchen. Suddenly the wind picked up, and (Y/N) glanced behind her to see Pepa with a small tornado around her, flowers were torn off the walls, furniture and decorations began to fall and be pulled as though by invisible hands towards Pepa.

"My baby's night has to be perfect and it's not perfect and people are going to be coming and nothing's ready, the whole town will be here -" Felix grabbed her hand.

"Pepi, Pepi, Pepita - you're tornadoing! The flowers! The flowers!" He motioned to the walls and Pepa tried to calm down.

"Did someone say flowers?" Everyone looked up at the unexpected voice, Isabela swung down from the balcony on a blossoming vine. She gracefully touched down and the people in front of her applauded.

"Please don't clap." She said, producing a bouquet of flowers and handing it to Pepa.

"Thank you." Pepa seemed calmer now and she walked off. Isabella made her way over to Mirabel and (Y/N), she brushed her long, silky, black hair over her shoulder and "accidentally" got it in Mirabel's face.

"A little sisterly advice," Isabela said, turning to face Mirabel, "If you weren't always trying so hard you wouldn't be in the way." Mirabel scowled,

"Actually Isa, this is called helping, and I'm not in the way you are-" Just then Mirabel walked headlong into a pole. Isabela scoffed and walked away.

(Y/N) giggled against her will and went to make sure Mirabel was ok.

"I'm fine," Mirabel said, frowning and rubbing her head. The girls lugged the heavy basket into the kitchen. They passed Mirabel's mom and she moved out of their way as the girls plopped the basket onto the floor and began placing the contents on the counter for the casita to move out of the way.

"Whoa. Mi Vida, you okay? You don't have to overdo it." Julietta told Mirabel.

"I know, Mamá, I just want to do my part like the rest of the family."

Mirabel's dad, Agustín entered the room. His skin was covered in bee stings, Agustín was what you would call accident-prone, he seemed to manage to find all the beehives in the encanto. 

"She's right, Amor." Agustín placed his swollen hand on Mirabel's, she winced at his touch.

"First gift ceremony since yours, a lot of emotions, and I've been there."

Mirabel turned to her mom. "Bee stings."
Julieta sighed at the sight of her swollen husband.

"Ay, Agustín." She turned to the stove to start working on a cure, (Y/N) watched Julietta prepare an arepa as Agustín continued talking to Mirabel.

"When I and your Tio Félix married into the family - outsiders who had no gift, never ever would be surrounded by the exceptional, it was easy to feel... un-ceptional."

"Okay, Papi." Mirabel pulled away and continued to help (Y/N). Julieta jammed an area into Agustín's mouth, causing his swelling to heal as he chewed. Having finished unloading the basket Mirabel left the room. (Y/N) was about to follow but Julieta stopped her.

"Tonight will be hard for Mirabel, just, be there for her if she needs you, ok?" (Y/N) was surprised she had to ask,

"Of course, I will." Julieta sighed with relief and (Y/N) smiled and walked after Mirabel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mirabel and (Y/N) sat on her bed, they laughed and smiled. (Y/N)'s room seemed to shine, her ceiling opened to let rays of sunlight into the large room, when closed her ceiling was dotted with stars and constellations. Mirrors covered the walls reflecting the light cast by the sun.

When the lights were off it was like being in space, with stars shining from every direction.
It was the only place (Y/N) felt safe, she knew what her Abuela thought of her, she had never liked (Y/N) for reasons she had never shared, though (Y/N) knew what they were. All Abuela had told her was that her dad, Bruno, had been a disgrace and that she was, well, a mistake.

Well, she hadn't said that directly, but (Y/N) had figured it out pretty fast after hearing what happened. She pushed the thought from her head, trying to be in a good mood for Antonio's big day. She brushed her (h/c) hair from her eyes and pinned it with a silver clip.

(Y/N) glanced at Mirabel, "Are you sure you're ok?" She asked, knowing today would be hard for her.

"Yes, I'll be fine," Mirabel responded. (Y/N)'s door opened and the girls looked behind them, Pepa stood in the doorway a Thunder cloud cracking with lightning hanging suspended above her head,

"Have you girls seen Antonio?" She asked.

"No, why?" (Y/N) asked, wondering where he might be.

"Well, I can't find him!" Thunder cracked and Pepa slammed the door. A few seconds later Mirabel stood and started making her way to the door.

"I bet I know where he is," Mirabel said.

"I'll stay here." (Y/N) knew that Mirabel and Antonio had a special relationship and also knew that Antonio looked up to her. Mirabel smiled at (Y/N) and quietly shut the door behind her as she left.

(Y/N) lay down on her bed. She produced a ball of light and let it hover above her hands, watching the way it swelled and shifted, it was like holding a star.

She stood and closed her roof, (Y/N)'s room seemed to be filled by small glowing stars that dotted the ceiling. She released the light in her hands. And let it form smaller orbs, she felt like she was floating through a galaxy.

She walked around staring at what she had created. (Y/N) pulled a small necklace out from under her pillow. The necklace had a small silver moon hanging from a metal chain. Sighing she placed it around her neck.

It was all her mother had left her, she knew why her mom left but had never told anyone that she knew. (Y/N) doubted the rest of the family even knew she knew who her mom was. She hadn't even told Mirabel.

(Y/N) clasped the crescent moon in her hands, wishing she could have known her. Even though she knew that it would be better to just forget about it. She wouldn't call her mother a bad person, but she had connections with too many people who could hurt the encanto. It really sucked.