Antonio's Voice

Antonio lay under Mirabel's bed, his mind racing. He was nervous, what if he didn't get a gift? What if his parents were disappointed? He scooted deeper under the bed letting the darkness blanket him.

Antonio heard the door open and saw someone's shoes as they walked into the room. He stayed quiet, a drawer opened and someone sat on the bed. He heard Mirabel's voice say,

"Everyone's looking for you." Antonio stayed silent, a small present was placed on the floor in front of him. "This present will self-destruct if you don't take it in three, two,
One..." He grabbed the present and pulled it under the bed. Mirabel scooted next to him.
"Nervous?" Antonio nodded and played with the ribbon wrapping the gift. "You have nothing to worry about. You're gonna get your gift and open that door... and it's gonna be the coolest ever. I know it." Antonio stayed quiet for a few seconds, but then quietly said,

"What if it doesn't work?"

"Well... in that impossible scenario..." Mirabel tried to make him smile, "you'd stay in here in the nursery... with me. Forever." She moved her hands in front of her and he let out a soft laugh. "I'd get you all to myself." Antonio looked at her and lets a small smile blossom on his lips, but quickly fades,

"I wish you could have a door."

Mirabel considered this for a moment, it clearly pained her but she put on a brave face for him.
"You know what? You don't have to worry about me, 'cause I have an amazing family... and an amazing house, and an amazing you." She smiles and squeezes his hand, "And seeing you get your special gift and your door... that's gonna make me way happier than anything."
Mirabel walked her fingers over to the present and pulled it closer.

"But alas, I am going to miss having the world's best roomie... " She gestures to the present. Antonio opens it, revealing... a small stuffed jaguar.

"I know you're an animal guy. And I made this, so when you move into your cool new room you always have something to snuggle with." The earnestness of the moment is gently cut as the House moves its floorboards to draw their attention to the time.

"Alright, hombrecito, you ready?" Mirabel asked. He nods, ready. Mirabel moves to leave, but says, "Sorry, I gotta get one more squeeze."

Mirabel sneaks another hug, but the House playfully pulls them out from under the bed by bouncing the floorboards around them. Antonio laughs and crawls from under the bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antonio stood behind a curtain as he looked out at the mass of people gathered on the other side. He can feel his stomach sink as he thinks of all the eyes that will be staring at him.

"There you are!" Antonio turned to his father's voice. He stood with his mother, Pepa, and his siblings Doloras and Camilo. His mom moved closer her eyes tearing up,

"Look at you, all grown up." As she tears up, a cloud forms above her head and starts to rain.

"Pepi, you're gonna get him all wet." His dad pulled Pepa away. Then Camilo transformed himself into a tiny version of Félix.

"You make-a your Papá proud." He did a poor job of imitating Felix's voice.

"I don't sound like that." Felix scowled.

"I don't sound like that." Camilo mocked him and Antonio smiled. Dolores tilted her head and listened to a sound he couldn't hear.

"Abuela says... it's time." Dolores smiles down at him. Pepa bends down and kisses him.

"We'll be waiting at your door!" His mom smiles and is ushered away by Felix.

"Okay, okay, vamo, vamo, vamo." Once again Camilo changed into a mini Felix and mimicked him,

"Okay, okay, Vamo, Vamo, vam--" Felix yacks him by his collar and pulls him away,

"Alright, I'm done!" Camilo quickly said as he walked away.

Antonio pulled the curtains back just enough to see Abeula on the stairs holding the candle.

"Fifty years ago, in our darkest moment, this candle blessed us with a miracle." She says, and some of the older cadence members nod along. "And the greatest honour of our family has been to use our blessings to serve this beloved community. Tonight, we come together once more as another steps into the light... to make us proud."

Abuela walks further up the stars and stops at the top, the curtains swing back and all eyes turn to Antonio. He stood paralyzed, the Casita tried to nudge him forward but he stayed still. He looked back to see Mirabel standing in the corner behind him.

Antonio reached his hand out, he needed her, he couldn't do this on his own.

"I can't," Mirabel said, her gaze shifting from him to the crowd.

"I need you." Antonio knew how hard today was for Mirabel but he needed her, he needed her to feel safe. Mirabel slowly walked foreword and took his hand,

"Come on. Let's get you to your door." They began to walk toward the stairs as the crowd began to murmur. Antonio clung to Mirabel as they made their way up the stairs, once at the top he could clearly see his parents' surprised faces.
Mirabel let go of his hand and stood to the side, Antonio looked to Abuela, "Will you use your gift to honour our miracle? Will you serve this community and strengthen our home?" She asked, he nodded and Abuela gestured to his door. Everyone seemed to hold their breath as he inched closer.  As Antonio's hand touches the doorknob, he is filled with magic and glows with a bright light.

He turned and a toucan landed on his arm,
"Can you hear me?" It squawked, Antonio's eyes grew wide as he responded,

"I understand you!"

"Can my buddies come?" It asked.

"Of course, they can!" Antonio happily exclaimed, the Toucan squawked calling for his friends, and a bunch of animals entered the casita at the toucan's call.

The crowd clapped and cheered, Abuela sighed in relief and announced,

"We have a new gift!" She opened Antonio's door and the animals entered pushing Antonio with them, he gasped at the sight of his new room. A huge tree grew from the ground, the animals instantly made themselves at home and Antonio turned to see the other people who had entered his room.

Just then a large jaguar pushed through the crowd, using its nose to push Antonio onto his back. They race onto the tree and run around the spiral trunk,

"WEPA ANTONIO! Vaya, Vaya!" His dad called, and everyone cheered and laughed.  As the jaguar picked up speed, it playfully roared at Antonio,

"Let's go up the tree!" The jaguar shouted.

"You wanna go where?!" Antonio asked, but
before he could say anything further the Jaguar raced up the tree trunk, tossing Antonio in the air. The crowd gasped but he landed on a hammock and bounced into a small waterside made from wood, using a snake as a rope, he swung back onto the jaguar's back. He was having the time of his life! The jaguar and Antonio stopped near the family. Félix celebrated and the Jaguar leaped onto his Tio Agustín, nearly knocking him over.

Abuela ran forward with her eyes full of pride and congratulated him. Antonio loved this new feeling of pride, and joy, he knew he would never forget today.