Chasing the Past

(Y/N) watched as Pepa talked with Antonio, she liked watching the family interact. The way they tried to lift each other up made her smile, sometimes she wished she had her mother to brush heAnimaticr hair or tell her not to worry about small unimportant things. She had never felt particularly close with anyone but Mirabel and her father. So (Y/N) had never had the privilege of having a motherly figure in her life.

Pepa kissed Antonio's face and they parted, he glanced her way and she waved, but he quickly walked away, making his way to his room. (Y/N) was confused, why was he suddenly ignoring her. Antonio and she didn't have the same kind of relationship he had with Mirabel, but he had never ignored her as he had just done.

"Hey, (Y/N)!" She jumped at the voice but realised it was Mirabel waving to her from across the Casita. She smiled and walked over,
"Dinner was great!" Mirabel told her.

"Thanks." (Y/N) started towards her room, wanting to be alone for a little while Mirabel started towards her own bedroom, and the girls waved before shutting their doors.

(Y/N) sat in the centre of her room, the ceiling was open letting the last rays of light stream in. She watched the sky as it slowly faded into night. With the last rays of sunlight gone she moved over to one of the mirrors lining the walls. With a gentle tug, (Y/N) pried open the frame. Revealing a small compartment hidden within the wall. Inside was a blanket and a black and white photograph.

She had been left on the casitas doorstep, fifteen years ago. She had been wrapped in the light blue blanket, now she held it, letting her fingers trace the soft stitching.

(Y/N) often wondered what her life would have been like if her mother had been there for her, maybe the rest of the family would have accepted her for who she was, not who she could be.

The photo showed her mother, she had auburn hair, and had the same blue eyes as (Y/N). Her mother's vibrant smile seemed to light up the small room she was photographed in and (Y/N) could almost imagine what she might have been like.

~~~~~~~~

(Y/N) glanced at the sundial set into the floor, it was almost midnight now. She quietly slipped from her room, she walked to the kitchen and located the leftover Empanadas. Grabbing a plate she carefully filled it with the leftover dinner. (Y/N) placed a piece of cloth over it and made her way up the stairs. 

She thought she saw movement from the corner of her eye but decided she must have imagined it. Carefully she opened the painting, wincing as it creaked, she thought she heard another sound but when she glanced around the casita was empty. Frowning (Y/N) stepped through the narrow hole and into the passageway between the walls.

She tried to avoid the few creaky floorboards. Carefully she walked forward, but her foot caught on a piece of wood and she fell forward. (Y/N) managed to catch herself, and not drop any of the Empanadas, but a small gasp escaped her lips. She froze listening, knowing Dolores could pick up on the slightest sound.

To her relief, she heard no movement. She crept along, more carefully now, until she came to the area where her father had made his home.

"(Y/N)," Bruno stood when she entered.

"Hi, Papa." (Y/N) smiled and handed him the plate. Bruno took an Empanada, smiling he asked,

"You made this?"

"Yes, but Julietta helped me." Bruno smiled and said,

"You remind me of her, and your mother."
(Y/N) smiled, she liked her Tia Julietta and enjoyed cooking with her, and she hoped that her reminding her father of her mother was a good thing as well.