chapter six

WILLOW

I've been avoiding Summer Bennett for twelve days. Impressive, right?
Ever since I got that email I've been picking up more shifts at the diner, focusing on my new classes and hiding in my room making excuses like I'm studying! or I can't, I'm tired to my friends when they want to go out. Twelve days hiding because I sure as hell don't want to face the person who's doing the winter showcase with me out of pity.
I had a lot of time to think and that's what I came up with. She's helping me because she feels sorry for me.
I haven't looked for her and in twelve days, she hasn't communicated with me-which makes me think she's on the same page I am. She must been thinking that if I needed her that badly, I'd reach for her. Well, I'm not and I won't. I can participate next year, I don't need her.
Then why am I avoiding going out? Because I don't want to face her- it's kind of impossible to run into her. I've been here for a year and I've never even seen one of the hockey royalties once, first time ever was Summer Bennett and I know it went like shit so I'm praying I won't run into her nor anyone again. It's easier if I'm hiding.

Maybe I shouldn't call it hiding. I'm just busy, school, my job... eat, sleep and repeat. That is basically being busy, right?

Today it isn't any different. My first two classes of the day are easy. Music History can be a little tough but just because it's kind of boring for me but it's doing okay so far. I'm with Josie in almost all my classes while I know Maya shares the majority of her classes with certain brunette I'm not mentioning anymore.
By eleven thirty am, I'm walking down the hall toward the outside of the building when I hear a familiar, feminine voice calling my name. Turning, I see Maya heading toward me, a soft smile on her face, her pink hair tied in a ponytail and she's holding two books in her hand, balancing her bag on her free shoulder.

"Hey," I flash her a smile, stopping a second until she makes her way to me. "Do you have any classes? Wanna grab some lunch?"

"Oh, please. I'm starving." she nods, linking her arm with mine. "Is it your day off?"

"Yeah, I'm gonna hang out with my brother."

Her lips form into a smirk. "Ohhh. Are we finally meeting the Leo James?" she elbows me softly.

I roll my eyes so hard I think they might get stuck in my brain. "No, you won't. He's only here for the day."

"Why don't you want me to meet him? That's the best friend rule number one. Gotta meet your brother." she says. We're walking towards her car; a red Mercedes that was gifted by her dad when she turned sixteen.
When I turned sixteen my mother got high in front of me and asked me for money but why compare, right?

"He's just busy. He doesn't live here." I say, getting inside the car at the same time as her. Maya throws her things on the back seat and I do the same. "Wait. Where are we going? I was thinking of making something at the dorm."

She chuckles, shaking her head. "Please. You haven't been out with me in forever, I'm taking you to Sally's."

My heart races. "I think this is called kidnapping."

"I prefer... A best friend taking you out for lunch." she shrugs. "I invited Josie but she said she had a thing."

"I don't wanna go out." I whine, brushing my hair away from my face. "Just go through the drive thru."

"Nope. We're going to eat in there like normal people."

Luckily for me, Sally's isn't packed at this hour. It's a fifteen minute drive from UBC and students normally don't want to drive for food. It's pointless since we have a lot of fast food restaurants close to the University but Sally's is my favorite. Maya discovered this place a few months ago when she was going for a walk at the beach- she said it was the most beautiful place to eat in and when I went for the first time I confirmed it.
It has floor to ceiling windows and you can practically see the entire beach and ocean, it's adorned with a lot of plants, flowers and it's so colorful it's hurts to see but it is the prettiest place in Vancouver- my opinion, of course but however says otherwise they're wrong.