chapter eight

WILLOW

When Maya told me she needed something from the store and she couldn't leave because she was baking cookies and she doesn't trust me in the kitchen (smart choice) I haven't expected to see Summer Bennett sitting cross legged under a tree. I stopped immediately, after looking for her in the entire school- she was right there. The rays of sunlight shined on her face making her glow. I had to take a moment to asked myself if she was real, to be honest, because she looked like an extension of the sun.
I had my opportunity right there and I took it. I apologized to her and now I've been waiting for her to text me since yesterday- twenty five hours waiting but who's counting? I know she's busy. She looked extremely tired when I saw her, she looked like she wanted nothing more than lay on her bed and sleep but she said she had to go the gym- which was weird, but she probably has a routine she has to follow so I said nothing, gave her my number and left and I've been waiting since then.

Waiting can be exhausting, even more when you are not used to use your phone all the time. I turned off the do not disturb mode and it's the fourth time it rings making me jump, thinking it's her but it's not. My mom's been asking for money again and I've been avoiding her- again. I'm on my double shift right now because I need money, I had one class today and when I asked Sam if I could take a double shift, he happily agreed. My mom messages burn me alive every time I read them. She keeps sucking my life, leaving me with nothing and my heart is very tired of it.

"I'm closing today. You can go home if you want." Maya lays her elbows on the counter, looking as boring as I feel.

Fridays are our most boring days. Students choose nightclubs and alcohol instead of cheap burgers and sodas. Just an old couple and a girl who seems like she's studying are here right now and none of them are on my tables, they're all Maya's. I could leave right now, my shift ended like forty minutes ago and Bailey, Chloe and even Sam had left already, but where would I go if I leave? Josie is at home with her family, Maya's here, my brother is back at the States and I'm... alone. I rather be here, with her than in my tiny dorm with my own thoughts and waiting for a text from a girl I don't even know. God, I'm pathetic.

"I'll just stay here." I say, taking a seat on one of the tables. "Just let me know if you need help."

Maya narrows her eyes at me and nods. "You're the only person who wants to hang out at her own job."

A small chuckle leaves my lips. "I'm not hanging out' I'm working."

"Your shift ended an hour ago."

I roll my eyes. "I'm waiting for you. It's dark and cold outside."

She hums, raising her brows. "I love you too, Willow."

I cringe, wrinkling my nose. "I never said that."

She laughs, just in time to see the girl from one of the tables calling her. "You didn't have to!"

She disappears from my view and I grab my phone to see if I have new messages. It's ridiculous how much I want someone I don't even know to text me. My mind goes back to our conversation and a sigh leaves my body when I remember she said she was busy on Fridays, maybe that's why she hasn't texted. An urge to know more about her life takes over me. How is the life of a professional ballerina with even more famous parents?
I remember her saying her mom is a music producer. My fingers move faster than my brain as I search the name of her mom on Google.

Pictures of a brunette woman with green eyes stare at me like I'm doing something wrong. The entire world knows who Luna Bennett is but I have no idea what is the name of her wife. I scroll down, reading her most recent news like she opened her own ice center, pictures of her family just existing-which makes me kind of sad- and then I'm hit with the information I was looking for.