chapter forty-three

SUMMER

"It's safe, I promise." I repeat for the fifth time. "It's easy, you won't get hurt."

"Yeah, easy for you to say." she snorts. "You've been doing this since you were three. Your mom is a hockey player!" my girlfriend throws her arms up while shaking her head and I laugh.

It's been eight days since Willow and I became officially girlfriends. Girlfriends, gosh, I have a girlfriend. I wanted to do something nice for our first date, Mom told me Mama took her ice skating for their first date, and I remembered I promised Willow I'd take her some day, that day is today. We are officially in our first date, I haven't told my mothers she's my girlfriend because I don't know what Willow wants— I need to be careful with her because I know she's still learning who she is and also because of paparazzis. I told my sister though, because this is supposed to be her time on the Center and I needed the rink all to ourselves, she was more than happy to give me this day for myself. If I asked my Mama she would've had asked a lot of questions I don't want to answer without talking with Willow first.
So here we are, on our first date, on my Mom's Ice Center.

"Do you trust me?"

She shoots her shiny green eyes at me, softening her gaze. "Of course."

I try not to smile but it's impossible. "Then sit right here, I'll help you with your skates."

She pouts, making me fight the urge to kiss her. "So bossy." she says sitting on the bench.

I stick my tongue out at her and kneel in front of her. When I glance up at her, I notice her cheeks are blushing. I help lacing up the skates and thankfully it fits her perfectly, then I sit down next to her to continue with mine.
It's been months since I skated, but I will always love it. The rush on the ice, the cold, the feeling of floating. I even miss how loud the crowd used to get every time my Mom played a game.

"Are we alone here?" Willow's still impressed by how big the center is. "Did you ask your mom for it?"

I shake my head. "This was supposed to be Rory's practice, she's usually here three to four hours, but she let us use her time. Mom doesn't know we're here."

"Oh." her brows raise. "So we have all the place to ourselves?"

"Yup. Is that okay?" I tilt my head, suddenly feeling insecure about it. Maybe she wasn't ready for this.

"No, yeah. Yes. It's perfect. I'm just... I've never skated before." she looks at the rink in front of us, chewing her bottom lip.

I swear I can't feel my hands from how cold it gets here but I hold Willow's anyway, giving them a small squeeze. "I'm not going to let you fall, love. I won't."

Her eyes connect with mine, worry etched in them. "You promise?"

I nod. "I promise."

"Okay." she says, blowing out a big breathe before connecting our lips together but quickly pulls back. "Oh. Sorry."

I chuckle. "Willow, I'm out. The whole world knows I'm out and we're both alone here. Do whatever you feel comfortable with." I give her a gentle squeeze before standing up with her. "I wanted to tell you that— I'm on your page, you don't need to be out just because I am. You want to pretend we're friends to everyone else? It's okay, we're the only ones who need the truth."

Her face softens. "Are you sure? I don't... I'm not hiding you, I'm just..."

"You're just discovering who you are, who we are." I finish for her. "I'm not in a hurry, we have our whole lives, right?"