chapter forty-seven

WILLOW

"We have news." Summer's uncle, Theo, says after he places his daughter on the floor. The little blonde girl makes a run for it until she reaches her cousins on the other side of the room. "For both of you."

"Me?" Summer frowns, staring between the both of us. "What did I do?"

Theo shakes his head with a laugh. "Nothing wrong. I promise. Please, take a seat."

My girl rolls her eyes at him. "Don't talk to me like I'm one of your clients." she says as she takes a seat in the large couch, I sit down next to her leaving a little to none space between us.

"Camera footage from the dorms show Delilah speaking to you in a passive-aggressive way. We made a report, and she's now in police custody, as we already knew, she cannot afford an attorney so she'll be spending time in jail until the judge decides what to do with her." my heart speeds up in my chest as he explains the reason my mom's been MIA for days. "Willow, the police might need you to declare and you might need to speak up in court, are you okay with that?" I can only manage to nod, swallowing the big knot in my throat. "This is all over, Willow. I promise you, that woman is never going to hurt you again."

Tears sting in my eyes, causing my vision to go blurry. I feel Summer's hand squeezing mine in a comforting way. I find it hard to believe my mom is now gone from my life, after nineteen years living under her shadow, her nightmares, trying and failing to survive her, it's all over now. I am free of the woman that made me miserable. Free. What a small word that can cause you so much happiness— a powerful word that can help me breathe normally, without fear of being hurt again.
My chest feels lighter, feeling like the little girl living inside of me trapped under a lot of trauma, can finally breathe fresh air. My mom's gone. Delilah is gone. She can't hurt me again.

"And," Theo continues, blue eyes sparkling as he looks at his niece. "We also found footage from the Bennett's center–"

My girlfriend drops her head. "Oh, my god." she groans. "Who found it? Mama? Is she mad? What did she do? I promise I was going to—"

"Tell them?" Theo lifts a brow. "When? When you were hurt, in a hospital bed again?Summer, she approached you twice, you can clearly see how scared you were, and you didn't tell anything to your moms?"

I turn my head to her, my eyes widening at his words. Twice? "I just didn't want to scared them. I'm fine."

"Yeah, you should tell that to Luna." he sighs. "I'm just delivering the news, Luna took care of her. Daisy left the country."

"What?" we both say in unison.

"Your mom saw the footage. She was extremely mad, you know how protective she is of you. Don't ask me what she did 'cause I don't know, but Daisy left the country. She's now in some city in Europe. You're free too, Sunshine girl." his gaze softens, and leans in to mess with Summer's hair. "Also, good punch, Willow." he turns to me, my cheeks go red. "Thank you for protecting this one. I like you already."

"You didn't like me before?" I laugh. "You're my lawyer."

"Oh, I liked you alright." he shrugs. "But now I do more. You take care of my girl here, yeah?"

My heart skips a beat knowing that he knows, probably her whole family does. "Uncle—"

"I'll always take care of her." I promise, interrupting whatever my girl was about to say, probably deny that there's something going on between us.
I'm tired of hiding, tired of pretending to her family that I don't love her, because I do. I love her, and I want everyone to know that I will always look after her, always love her, always try to give her the best. They need to know that. They need to know that I'm in her life to stay.