chapter forty-six

SUMMER

"Ready for our last session?"
I hesitate, finding Dr. Callaghan's caramel eyes on me with a sympathetic smile on her face. A smile that tells me everything is going to be fine, which I'd like to believe.
Eventually, I nod and get ready to start.
Seven weeks have gone by so quickly that I'm already on my last session for the injury that that caused the ending of my professional career, and it is now healed, just like that. Looking back, seven weeks ago I was miserable. I thought I would never recover, I was in the lowest place in my life, unhealthy, unhappy, going down every day I spent trapped inside those four walls with Daisy Silvers. The day of the show went by, all the money went to the British Columbia Academy for their next performance. Now that Daisy's Academy is gone, they took their place. Mila seems to be happy there, so I guess, I am happy for her.

Now I can only focus on another date— December sixteenth, just nine days away. Willow and I had been practicing none stop, or perhaps we're just looking for an excuse to spend time together because we both know the performance is already perfect. I am not complaining.

"Are you still thinking about performing next week?" Dr. Callaghan asks me, looking down at papers in her desk.

"I am, yes." I nod even though she's not staring at me. "Doesn't hurt when I dance, and if it does, I know that I need to stop." that didn't happen eight weeks ago.
The pain was just a part of myself, if it hurt, I thought I was doing it okay. Ballerinas dance through broken bones, her voice takes over my mind again.

"You've seem to had made a fully recovery, Miss Bennett. I am very proud of you." she tells me with a soft smile. "Some dancers don't come back from fractures like that, but you never gave up— It was pretty amazing to see."

My lips curve into a smile. "Thank you."

She adjusts her glasses and stands up after a small nod. "Let's get started."

For the next hour, she makes me do some stretches and jumping exercises. My leg used to burn in pain when she made me do this weeks ago, and now doesn't give me any trouble as I listen and do whatever she asks me to do. I stay focused on my movements and her instructions. She tells me just because our sessions are over, does not mean I should stop doing this exercises. That I need to take care of my leg on my own now, and be extra careful.

Once we're over, she makes me sign some things and keeps telling me stuff that I should be careful with.
Dr. Callaghan crosses her hands over her desk, and sighs. Oh, no. Bad news. "You have made an amazing recovery, Miss Bennett."

I press my lips together. "But..."

She snorts a small laugh by my reaction. "You can totally do the performance next week, remember to rest a lot this week. But I still don't think you should risk going back to professional ballet. At least for a few months."

"Oh." my brows raise. "I, uh... I wasn't thinking of going back. I think." I frown. "But... hypothetically, if I were to teach a class... Can I do that?"

Somehow, her eyes light up with a smile. "Yeah, that'll be okay. You know your limits, you know your body. When it tells you it's enough, it's enough. Don't overwork yourself, keep eating healthy, and you'll be fine."

I smile. "Thank you for everything you've done for me."

"My pleasure, Miss Bennett. You are a wonderful dancer, I have no doubt you'll leave a mark in the ballet industry." her eyes show nothing but honesty.

Blood rushes to my cheeks at her acknowledgment. She knows me. Probably knows my family, too. But it was nice to hear that. "Thank you so much."

Mom is waiting for me in the parking lot after I leave the place feeling my chest lighter, like I can finally breathe again. I might not be able to dance professionally again, but isn't that what I wanted? Freedom from that toxic environment, I have it. I can do whatever I want now. Dance whenever I want, to whatever the hell I want to, to my own choreographies.
Breathing has never felt this good before, everything seems brighter and more beautiful when you're free. When you're happy. And I am, god I am.