chapter twenty-five

WILLOW

"Now, you all now the drill. I want to hear one thing you're thankful for this year. Gracie, you first since you're the youngest." Summer's mom–Mia– says, I swear my cheeks are hurting from all the smiling.
Summer's family is loud, and so fucking adorable that I can't stop smiling for a second. They've told a million anecdotes, a million family stories, so many jokes that my stomach hurts from laughing too hard. Is this what a normal family looks like?

They are so happy, so full of life that sometimes it hurts that I'm here having fun with them when I don't belong here. I know I don't– Summer's sister is not even here. Sure, they're all coming for dessert but it's not the same, is it?
The table is stacked with all the appropriate American Thanksgiving food— turkey, stuffing, baked potatoes, sauce, mashed potatoes, I've never seen so much food in one table.

Gracie, Theo and Julian's youngest daughter, stands up in her chair to grab everyone's attention. She's probably seven or eight and she looks so much like Theo that you can say immediately that she's his daughter. "Okay, I... I'm grateful for my dads and Miles because they make me soooo happy." she smiles as my heart melts. "Oh! I'm also thankful for auntie Lolo's cookies. They're so good."

We all laugh at that and I find myself trying hard not to look at Summer every time she laughs. Millie is next, she also stands in her chair, placing a hand over my shoulder for balance. "I'm thankful for... uh, my moms and my sisters. And hockey, duh. Oh! Also, my best friend, Audrey, I miss her so much. Mom, when is she coming?"

"You saw her two hours ago and you know she's coming in a few minutes." Luna says with a smile on her face.

Millie shrugs. "Anyway, I'm also thankful for Willow. She seems nice."

I pout, my hands coming up to my chest as a way to protect my heart. Did she really just say that? She just met me yesterday. God, kids are so cute. While I hug Millie, it's Miles' turn, Julian and Theo's son. He says he's thankful for his teammates and friends and hockey. After him, comes the pretty girl next to me.

I lock my eyes on her, not looking for an excuse since all the eyes are on her. She clears her throat before speaking. "I'm thankful for all of you, for my family, for my friends, for my... uh, my new year in this new chapter in my life, which is pretty good, so far." she turns to lock her eyes with mine just for a single second but my cheeks turn red. "For meeting new incredible people and– Oh! I'm mostly thankful for books, they help me a lot to leave reality for a few hours."

A smile spreads on my lips– that is such a Summer Bennett thing to say and I can totally agree with her. Summer takes a seat, then all the eyes are on me. I blush when I remember I'm older than Summer, so it's now my turn. I clear my throat and stare down at my empty plate. "I, uh... I'm thankful to be surrounded by all of you today. I've never had this type of holiday before and you're making it very magical, so thank you for inviting me, Mia." I smile at Summer's mom. "And thank you for having me and welcoming me so good. I, eh... I'm also thankful for signing up for a showcase and very thankful that they've changed the rules this year. And also, music. It's my way to leave reality– for as long as I can."

My mouth feels dry as I finish saying those words, I see Summer taking a sip of her water and hiding her face with her hair– is she blushing? "Oh, are you majoring in music?" Summer's uncle asks me.

Heat fills my cheeks as I look up at his blue eyes. "I do, yes. I want to be a songwriter or singer, I don't know yet." as long as it gets me out of here.