chapter nine

WILLOW

Summer places the box with cupcakes in the middle of the table after we take a seat in the back of the library. There's a few people here, no one wants to actually study on a Saturday evening- but I guess we are not studying. There are no books or pens on the table, not a laptop, nothing. I have no idea how are we doing this in the first place. Summer stares out at the window like she's looking for something-someone, maybe she's feeling just as nervous as I am. I can't help but stare at her rosy cheeks filled with soft freckles. I wonder if her lips are just as soft as they look- God, what am I doing?
Summer seems uncomfortable, her hand plays with the golden bracelet she's wearing, I notice the little 'S' in it when she turns it around.

"Want some coffee?" she whispers so low if we weren't in a quiet place, I wouldn't have heard her. "There's a coffee shop right there I could-"

I shake my head. "No, I'm fine. Thank you." I say tilting my head as she keeps staring at the window. She seems alert, looking and waiting for something. "I, uh... I've been going back and forth with my phone. You know, looking for a song, but nothing sounds ballet worthy."

She laughs, the sound bringing butterflies to my stomach that I ignore. Her soft brown eyes finally find mine. "I know I only do ballet performances but I'm a contemporary dancer, too."
Contemporary dancer, got it. I have to search the meaning on google. She chuckles again. "You have no idea what I'm talking about, right?"

A smile forms in my lips. "No, I'm sorry."

Her face lights up, the corner of her eyes wrinkling when she smiles. "It means I'm great at improvising movements. Contemporary focuses on multiple dance styles, giving me the freedom to express my feelings with my movements. While ballet is something more structured... delicate, elegant." she explains making me notice she also uses her hands when she talks, expressing herself with her body- making her look even more beautiful.

"Oh, so..."

"So, I can dance to whatever you like. Don't worry about it." her nose wrinkles.

"Even sad songs?"

"Oh, specially sad songs." she grins. "Wanna show me what you have?"

A loud sigh escapes my lips. "I... honestly don't have much. None of my songs are finished and I don't think they'll be good enough to make us win."

"Oh, shut up." she rolls her eyes with a playful smile. "You've been selected for the winter program. Not everyone gets that chance, I'm sure you're talented and your songs are great."

"I'm not saying I'm not talented, I know I am-" she raises her brows at me. "What? It's a fact." I shrug, smiling when I hear her laugh. "What I'm saying is I need to make something better for the winter showcase and for you, obviously."

She runs a hand through her hair, the sparkle in her eyes making impossible to look away. "We'll come up with something. We have time, right?"

"Three months." I nod watching her open the box with muffins and placing one in front of me- but not her. "What about you?"

Her eyes move to the muffin in front of me, she hesitates for a few seconds before wrinkling her nose and shaking her head. "I already ate."

"You brought this just for me?"

"And your friend, if you want to share." she giggles.