Chapter 10

Keefe sat in the waiting room. The first rays of sun were peeking into the clean smelling room. Yes, he had been waiting for that long. He insisted on waiting for Sophie. Besides, it wasn't like anyone would need him to come home. His father was probably in a boring meeting right now. As for his mother...well, she hadn't returned from the 'very short business meeting' that she had flown to. Four years ago.

A nurse came in. "Oh, your still here! Aren't you gonna go home?" She said.
Keefe shook his head no.

"Well, she's almost done." The nurse told him, while looking at him strangely.

A few hours later, the nurse came back in. "She's done" she told him.
Keefe stood up nervously and followed the nurse to a room. Inside was Sophie, sitting on a wheelchair.

"S-sophie?" He said cautiously. He didn't know why he was so nervous. Maybe, it was because he might do something dumb or something.

Sophie looked up. And smiled. "Hi, Keefe."

"Are you ready to go home?" Keefe asked. Sophie nodded. Keefe took the handles of the wheelchair and started to wheel them out the room, but before they got to the door, Sophie cried out. "Oh! I remember - my parents are at this hospital!"
"Do you want to visit them?" The nurse asked.
"Yes!" Sophie answered.

The nurse took them to another room. Inside was Sophie's parents, lying on two beds and looking very bad.
Beep. Beep. Beep. A heart monitor. Beep. Beep.
The nurse left them alone.

Sophie stared at her parents with an absent minded expression. "Sophie...are you ok?" Keefe asked. She didn't look ok. Keefe took her hands. They were cold. Beep. Beep. Beep.
"Keefe...they've been gone so long..what if they're going to be gone forever?! I mean, never wake up!?" Sophie suddenly burst out.

"Sophie!" Keefe was surprised. "That is not going to happen. They're going to wake up, get healed and be fine. Everything will go back to normal."
"Everything?" Sophie whispered.
"Everything"

Sophie stared at keefe for a long time. Beep. Beep. Beep. Was she waiting for him to say something else? Beep. Beep. Beep. Finally, he got it. "Everything...except us. I love you, Sophie."
Then, they kissed.

Beep. Beep. Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-!