two. favorite pogue

CHAPTER TWO: FAVORITE POGUE

The dim light of the morning shone through the window. The room's lights were off because of the hurricane and so the only light shining was the sun's. It reflected over the girl's sky blue eyes as she stared into nothing, playing with her rings whilst she awaited the customers. She was always fidgeting with something to keep herself busy. It didn't matter what, but she was a bored girl.

Emma Lynn was zoned out at this point, too zoned out in her own thoughts as a specific song she couldn't remember the name of was stuck in her mind.

Suddenly, a pair of hands came up from behind her and held her shoulders out of nowhere. Startled, she jumped and her heart literally dropped.

"Boo!" a voice exclaimed. Emma turned around immediately once she recognized the voice.

A familiar blonde boy laughed at his best friend's fear, causing her to slap his arm off her shoulder. She laughed in relief though.

"Geez, you scared me! Don't do it again, JJ or I swear-" Emma clenched her fist as if she were about to punch him.

"You should've seen the look on your face." JJ continued to laugh as he pointed at her, only to be met with a death glare from the girl.

"Okay, fine, I'll shut up now." he said with a sigh, although he was still holding back a chuckle.

"So, what'd you come here for?" she asks him, crossing her arms and leaning her back against the counter.

"I was just bored. Thought I'd check in on you and Pope." he replied.

"Well, my shift doesn't end until like an hour so Pope is more useful than me here." Emma says as she stares at him.

"An hour?! Em- it's summer, plus it's the day after a hurricane. That's a free day for us! Island rules, E! So, come on, we want to go fishing and we can't do that without you." the boy rambled on. He looked at her with pleading eyes as though he were trying to convince her.

"Sorry, man. It's only an hour, plus the sun will still be up and it won't be late at all. Just go hang out with John B-"

"He's working too." JJ interrupted her almost immediately.

Emma sighs and her eyes dart around while she thinks about what to do.

"Pope is free. Kiara, too... and before you say anything, I know Kiara doesn't work today. Go hang out with them until my shift ends!" she tells him with a bright face, hoping he'd listen.