eight. hope

CHAPTER EIGHT: HOPE

CHAPTER EIGHT: HOPE

The Pogues sat in the Twinkie, driving towards the salvage yard containing the drone. They were trying to convince themselves that they weren't stealing the object, rather they were borrowing it.

Of course, Pope was the only one that wasn't convinced. He was sure that the longer he hung out with his friends, the more trouble they were getting him in. He needed to get the scholarship he was working hard for. Who knows what could happen to him if he didn't?

Emma knew that about him. She could see it in the look on his face everytime they suggested doing something risky. They'd done many risky things these past few days. One of them being breaking into Scooter Grubb's motel and looking further into the Royal Merchant treasure.

"I can't believe we're doing this. We're out here stealing drones now." Pope grumbled, trying not to show the real panic he felt regarding losing his Merit's Scholarship.

"Pope, we're not stealing the drone. We're borrowing it." John B replied as he drove the van.

Kiara was in the passenger seat. Emma, JJ, and Pope were in the back. The blonde boy was smoking a joint while The Routledge girl gave him side-glances. Pope, on the other hand, was seated with his arms crossed, still annoyed that he had to go through with this.

"Humans are the only animal that can't tell fantasy from reality." He commented.

"Wait, did you come up with that?" John B asked, confused.

"No, Albert Bernstein came up with it, but it applies to the whole treasure-hunting thing." The curly-haired boy replied.

"Oh." The Routledge boy simply said.

"So, which is it? Fantasy or reality?" He held his hands out as he spoke the two words, staring at each individual in the group.

"Reality, man. If our dad was looking for it, I'm pretty sure it's real." Emma shrugged her shoulders.

"Why are you so weird, Pope?" JJ asked, speaking up while he fixed his joint up.

"It's fantasy, but possible reality." Kiara answered from the passenger seat.

"Reality." John B said. He looked at Kiara, smiling at her as she smiled back.

Emma, from the backseat, noticed. She narrowed her eyes at them skeptically, but she decided not to comment on it.

"Virtual reality." JJ took his lighter out and held it towards his joint, lighting it up. But Pope immediately snatched it from him, leaving the boy surprised.