four. kegger

CHAPTER FOUR: KEGGER

The Pogues watched from afar as a woman weeped over a dead body on a moving bed. They were sitting next to a few friends as they watched the scene unfold. The dead body was of a man's, which they weren't sure of whom it belonged to yet. Emma knew who the woman was, though. Lana Grubbs.

Before her father went missing, Emma would see Lana with him. They weren't alone, there was a third man accompanied by Ward Cameron. This corpse looked exactly like the unknown man. Before she could ask who it is, her brother did.

This man, his body looked fully lifeless. It looked deceased, pale and blue. He looked like he'd been dead for a while, because nobody that just dies reaches the first stage of decomposition right away.

"Who's that?" he asked Tara, one of their friends, not breaking his gaze from Lana and the decomposed body.

"It's Scooter Grubbs. He was out during the storm." the girl answered him. That last name made Emma's stomach turn.

Grubbs. He's her husband... and if he was out during the storm, that could only mean one thing. That Grady-White.

"Check out this pic I got." she continued, showing John B her phone. Emma was next to him, and she saw it, too. JJ, Kiara and Pope were leaning closer to get a peek as she showed them all one by one.

"What kind of boat did he have?" JJ asked, trying to sound innocent. But it felt like he was adding it up too. Emma noticed it. They all had the same feeling.

"Somehow that dirtbag copped a brand-new Grady-White. Everyone's out looking for it."

Yep. That was their answer.

The group, besides Tara, all shared knowing glances. Now they were starting to stress over the situation, because it turned out to be a lot bigger than they thought it was.

They went back to the Chateau and sat on the front porch. John B was leaning against a wall, flipping a beer bottle into the air. Kiara was sitting on the couch, next to Emma. JJ was on a chair playing with his lighter.

"Told you guys it was our dumbest decision yet." Emma broke the silence, in a way she was trying to ease the tension, but her words were definitely not making it any better.

"And dumbest decision it was." Kiara agreed with a sigh.

"It didn't seem like it at the time." JJ added. Before Emma could say anything else, Pope barged in, making the group look up at the door.