twelve. new beginning

CHAPTER TWELVE: NEW BEGINNING

Emma sat in the backseat of her new legal guardian's car. Her brother sat in the passenger seat, looking lost in thought. She admired the houses around her as Ward Cameron drove them through the streets of Figure 8, each house looking more lavishly appointed than the other.

The girl wasn't fully ready to leave the Chatéau, but she preferred this more than being separated from her brother and her friends. She also knew they had freedom to do what they wanted, so they definitely could go back and visit their old home from time to time. And that, she was pleased with.

"You two ready for your new home?" Ward asked the siblings as they started to approach Tanyhill.

"Yeah." John B answered first, looking at the man with a subtle smile.

"Mhm." Emma added at the same time.

Ward then parked the car in the driveway of the house. He turned to look at both of them. "Welcome home, kids."

They walked inside, meeting Sarah at the entrance of the house. She greeted Emma with a friendly hug, and then did the same with John B—though it was less friendly and more romantic. Sarah led John B to his bedroom and Emma followed behind.  It was a guest bedroom downstairs, though anyone living on the Cut couldn't assume that it was a guest bedroom. It was even bigger than the living room in the Chatéau.

"This is your room." The blonde girl told her new boyfriend with an excited smile.

"Whoa." John B stated, tossing his backpack on the bed.

"It's not too shabby, huh?" Sarah remarked.

"Yeah. Not too shabby at all." He replied as he flopped down on the bed.

"And my room is just upstairs, in case you were wondering." The Cameron girl told them both.

"Where's mine?" Emma asked while she leaned onto the doorframe.

"Yours is also upstairs. It's across Rafe's room." Sarah replied and turned to face the Routledge girl. She looked a little apologetic. "I tried to find another room for you, but this was the only one. So sorry!"

Emma would've smiled, but she forgot that they didn't know anything. She faked a frown and huffed. "Yeah... Let's hope I survive that."

"Trust me, I told him to back off. You'll live." She chuckled.

John B cleared his throat from behind his girlfriend. "So, upstairs is just Rafe and Emma's rooms?" He didn't sound too pleased.