Chapter 26: Starting School

"Chapter 26: Starting School"
    "The discomfort he felt was similar to when he first arrived in this world."
    "The only difference was that the symptoms were not as severe as last time; he wasn't bedridden and didn't need to go to the hospital."
    "The system kindly reminded: 'Host, your psychic pool shows signs of leveling up again.'"
    "Xu Qingran paused in thought."
    "The leveling up of the psychic pool was now linked to the mission of seducing Shen Tingyu, meaning... progress?"
    "Both Xu Qingran and the system, recalling the events of the previous night, simultaneously lapsed into silence."
    "The system's CPU nearly overheated."
    "Xu Qingran's eyebrows quirked slightly."
    "So, Shen Tingyu likes that kind of thing?"
    "The thought of elevating his psychic pool to level A through this tribulation suddenly made the fever seem more bearable."
    "He got out of bed and walked to his desk, picking up his tablet to catch up on the Xu family drama that had unfolded during his absence from the Fairy System."
    "The threads on the Star Edge homepage pleased him, and he even took the time to like all the posts and comments questioning or opposing Xu Qing'an. The various speculations and set flags from the oblivious netizens also amused him."
    "Xu Qingran noticed the threads discussing his school and those mentioning his live streams."
    "Leaning against the desk, he thought for a moment before opening the most popular thread about the graduation party live stream."
    "The latest comment read:"
    "[1876651L: No matter what's said, Xu Qingran still ruined the event. With such a temper, no wonder Colonel Lu doesn't want him!]"
    "After reading, Xu Qingran replied directly in the thread with his main account:"
    "[Taking advantage of the crowd here to promote my new live stream channel, Star Music platform, room number: 594088. Welcome to follow and donate.]"
    "He posted three messages in quick succession."
    "Before leaving, he replied to the comment above: [Him, worthy?]"
    "[I refuse to recycle a rotten cucumber, afraid of catching something from Xu Qing'an.]"
    "After casually finishing up, Xu Qingran closed the page and went downstairs to change his clothes."
    "It was already past lunchtime."
    "Shen Tianyi was engrossed in a movie in the living room, completely oblivious to Xu Qingran coming downstairs. The dining room was spotless, with no food left behind, and a cute robot was tidying up the washed dishes in the kitchen."
    "Xu Qingran silently grabbed a cup of hot water."
    "It seemed like a shopping day; Aunt Song wasn't around, and the fridge had limited ingredients left. Holding the cup, he surveyed the contents, pondering whether to whip up something to eat and possibly start a live stream while at it?"
    "He took out some slightly wilted strawberries, vegetables, leftover wonton wrappers, and noodles from the fridge. Then, adeptly logging into his new live stream channel, he set up the camera and got busy."
    "People quickly started joining the live stream."
    "Thanks to the traffic from the Star Edge post, while not as popular as Shen Tingyu's live streams, his channel swiftly attracted hundreds of thousands of viewers."
    "[What? I just came to follow, and he's already live?]"
    "[Crying, it's the same kitchen as last time. He really is staying at the General's house, wuwuwu.]"
    "[I don't believe it, this must be a set!]"
    "Many came for the gossip."
    "[I want to hear the details of this love triangle drama!]"
    "[You look more like the one who'd steal Xu Qing'an's lover. Are you sure it wasn't you who staged and shot those photos?]"
    "[But the Xu family admitted this morning that Xu Qing'an is indeed Xu Qingran's half-brother from the same father.]"
    "[Xu Yan was crying at the press conference this morning. Remembering how he wept when Mrs. Xu died, it just seems so fake!]"
    "Xu Yan is the name of Xu Qingran's father."
    "Xu Qingran had just learned that the Xu family had publicly acknowledged the matter. But the truth was evident, and facing the pressure, if a paternity test was forced, the public backlash would be even worse. Admitting it now and offering an apology was indeed a slightly better choice."
    "Besides, the people in the Xu family had probably wanted to do this for a long time, right?"
    "Now that it's out, they can openly favor Xu Qing'an as their biological son."
    "[It's terrifying to think about it, but could the death of Xu Qingran's mother have been...?]"
    "[I even suspect that Xu Yan knew about this! By getting rid of Xu's mother, the two of them could then be together without any obstacles!]"
    "[Scary! I remember Xu Yan and the late Mrs. Xu had a high compatibility score... It seems that even legendary matches can stray.]"
    "Xu Qingran tossed the prepared wontons into the pot to cook with the vegetables. While starting to make noodles, he casually responded, 'The matter of my mother is being handled. A friend is gathering evidence to sue my aunt.'"
    "'If things go as expected, she'll probably be sent to the Evil Tower,' he said with a slight smile, void of any sorrow in his tone."
    "[Hey, big shot, you said you're going to further your studies too, right? Which school?]"
    "[Hope it's not some unheard-of institution.]"
    "[Anyway, a student rejected by Grandtis Medical College definitely can't make it to a top university.]"
    "Xu Qingran's eyes twinkled with a meaningful smile, 'My school? It's in a very remote place.'"
    "'It's the only school around, quite far from my home.' Surrounded by sea, heavily guarded, inaccessible to ordinary people."
    "'As for its popularity? Well, when I visited, I didn't see many people around.' Shen Tingyu had taken him through a special passage used by senior officials, where he indeed encountered few people."
    "Having said this, he successfully elicited a wave of mockery in the comments, most of which seemed to be fans of Xu Qing'an."
    "Xu Qingran lifted the cooked noodles out of the water, 'No need to mock universities outside of Grandtis.'"
    "Every school has its purpose. The top few are accessible only to a minority. Moreover, I believe capable people can shine anywhere."
    "Ah, I'm referring to someone as outstanding as myself. Some netizens shouldn't start projecting and fantasizing about reaching the pinnacle of life."
    The mood in the chat starts to crumble again.
    "[...Seriously?]"
    "[QwQ Really annoying.]"
    "[I feel psychologically squeezed.]"
    Shortly after, the chat, just calming down, erupts again at lightning speed.
    "[Whoa! Colonel Lu also responded, admitting he slept with Xu Qing'an before ending things with the big shot!]"
    【??!】
    "[Everyone, right now! The official Silver Dragon satellite channel is broadcasting live!]"
    Xu Qingran, having just served wontons and soup, sees this news. Keen on the excitement, he opens a split-screen on his device and joins in.
    In the live broadcast, Lu Cheng is seen bowing and apologizing: "It was my failure to handle personal matters that led to this chaos. The responsibility lies with me, so please stop blaming Xu Qingran and Xu Qing'an."
    As Lu Cheng straightens up, Xu Qingran notices his tired look. Heavy dark circles, probably lack of rest lately, his eyes lacking their usual sparkle, looking utterly exhausted.
    Lu Cheng continues, "I also want to inform everyone that Xu Qing'an and I are engaged, and our relationship will not end because of this."
    After Xu Qingran left that day, overwhelmed by the shocking truths, Lu Cheng had lashed out. Xu Qing'an was scared into tears, leading to utter chaos, preventing any meaningful conversation.
    It was only in the privacy of the hotel's VIP room that a teary Xu Qing'an confessed about the bed photo. He expressed being oppressed by Xu Qingran for years and finally being with the person he loved, which led to his boastful behavior.
    Regarding the accusation of Xu Qingran orchestrating the disturbance at the engagement party, he steadfastly denied it, suggesting it might have been his friends acting without his knowledge.
    "Those who abducted Xu Qingran to District 13 are all dead, leaving no evidence to verify the facts."
    "But after these incidents, Lu Cheng's view of Xu Qing'an as docile and obedient inevitably developed a crack. Before responding to the news, he was still conflicted about whether to end the engagement with Xu Qing'an, which initially felt more like a reactionary decision."
    "It was his restless browsing of forums that led him to Xu Qingran's ruthless response in a trending post."
    "Gathering his scattered thoughts, Lu Cheng stood solemnly on the stage, addressing the cameras with a calm demeanor: 'I will marry Xu Qing'an and will not resume any past relationship with Xu Qingran. So, please stop blaming or disturbing him, and let's put an end to this matter.'"
    "In the kitchen of Shen Tingyu's house."
    "Xu Qingran, holding a warm bowl, watched and ate his noodles, his face characteristically devoid of much expression. The chat, however, erupted into wild interpretations, convinced that his elaborate plan was to win back Lu Cheng, but in the end, it was all in vain."
    "Xu Qingran ignored the need to clarify, until someone asked: '[What are you eating today, broadcaster?]'"
    "Swallowing his mouthful of noodles, he replied, 'Today, it's strawberry wonton vegetable soup noodles.'"
    【?】
    "[What??]"
    "[You're at it again??!!]"
    "As expected, the chat's focus shifted instantly, going wild once more."
    "[Are you intentionally messing with our minds, broadcaster?]"
    "Watching the message float by, Xu Qingran responded, 'Yes.'"
    "'After all, no matter what I do, I can eat comfortably. So why should I choose to do something that makes you all happy as well?'"
    【......】
    "[I really don't know why I clicked into this live broadcast.]"
    "[Xu Qingran, do you just not care about your public image anymore?]"
    Xu Qingran: "If I cared a bit more, would the government give me a billion every year?"
    The chat went silent for a while.
    Someone commented: "[Maybe not, but you could win more love and praise from people.]"
    Biting into a wonton, Xu Qingran wondered: "Can this affection instantly bulk me up with a few pounds of muscle, or enable me to beat your generals to the ground right away?"
    "If it's neither here nor there, why should I suppress myself to chase these fleeting things? Just to be petty after a full meal?"
    Xu Qingran never cared about these matters; his only concern was his own happiness.
    He lifted his eyelids slightly and said indifferently, "Love or not, that's your business. I don't need it and just want to live my days in the most comfortable way. If you don't like it, leave."
    【......】
    "[Damn, this guy is really tough to crack.]"
    "[I'm done for, I actually think he makes sense.]"
    Amidst the chat discussion, Xu Qingran finished his special meal for the day, not even sparing the soup. Just as he thought of ending the broadcast, he saw a perceptive comment float by.
    "[You don't seem to be in good shape today, your voice is a bit hoarse too. Are you sick?]"
    Xu Qingran raised an eyebrow, about to respond, when someone entered the kitchen.
    Shen Tingyu, holding an empty coffee cup, glanced between him and the unwashed pots a few times, then asked thoughtfully, "...Did you just wake up?"
    His hair was unusually a bit disheveled, and he only wore a simple black cotton jacket. Despite a night's rest, the tiredness on his face hadn't faded, indicating a slow recovery of his spirit pool. The bruise on his cheek was notably prominent.
    Xu Qingran thought to himself that he had been a bit too rough last night.
    "Yes, I was a bit hungry, so I made something to eat," he said, handing over the dishes to the cleaning robot.
    The half-human-height black and white robot buzzed between them, heading towards the sink, and also took Shen Tingyu's empty cup.
    Shen Tingyu remained silent.
    He had also gotten up late today, thinking Xu Qingran and others had already eaten, so he had cleared away the remaining food in the dining room.
    The live chat became excited again.
    "[Help! The real General Shen!]"
    "[Sob, sob, we can't deceive ourselves anymore, they are living together.]"
    "[Why cry? Haven't you heard the Shen family say that Xu Qingran's real match is Shen Tianyi? Living together is no big deal!]"
    "[But still, what can an adult do with a child? We should be more worried about two vigorous young men accidentally sparking something, especially since the general is an E-type. He controls it well, but his nature is still driven by strong desires. Can he really resist when the young master is so beautiful...?]"
    Those in the kitchen were unaware of the sudden turmoil in the live chat.
    Seeing Xu Qingran looking listless with an unnatural flush on his face, Shen Tingyu casually asked, "Are you sick?"
    In his previous life, Xu Qingran rarely got sick, but when he did, it was severe, making his mood and temperament fluctuate greatly. Remembering that Shen Tingyu was the cause of his illness, he took the opportunity to vent his frustration: "Yes, and it's all because of what you did last night."
    He didn't see any problem or ambiguity in his words.
    The live chat paused for a moment.
    Then, they were dumbfounded.
    【?】
    [...Huh??]
    [I must have misunderstood the meaning of that sentence.]
    Shen Tingyu paused, thinking that Xu Qingran was referring to catching a cold from staying up all night on the mountain due to his delay.
    Seeing him still in the kitchen, Xu Qingran weakly asked, "Why are you still at home? Skipping work again?"
    Shen Tingyu chuckled, "After all the commotion last night, shouldn't I rest?"
    He, too, didn't see any ambiguity in his rhetorical question.
    But the viewers in the live chat thought it was problematic.
    The chat fell into an eerie silence for a while.
    Until a small emoji floated by.
    【TAT。】
    What kind of fox spirit is Xu Qingran! In such a short time, he has ruined the innocence of their general!
    The person labeled as a fox spirit, having eaten his fill, glanced at the live chat and then ended the broadcast, leaving only the QR code for donations floating.
    The audience fell silent again for a moment.
    [...Damn, I'll crush you with my money, you little money-grubber!]
    After Xu Qingran ended his live stream, a well-known forum inevitably had a few more discussion threads. Among them, the thread speculating whether Shen Tingyu was still 'pure' was strangely bumped up again.
    The latest reply:
    [17665L: Just one night and he needs a day off, the general is indeed incapable.]
    ·
    The drama at Xu Qing'an's graduation party came to a temporary close after several of the parties involved responded. It is said that some of the Xu family's businesses lost partnerships due to this incident, affecting their reputation greatly. The old patriarch of the Xu family is still in the hospital, and the situation is grim.
    Lu Cheng and Xu Qing'an also temporarily kept a low profile, with the Lu family refusing interviews and statements, sparking much discussion and speculation.
    Xu Qingran didn't pay much attention to these developments. After about three days of fever, it finally subsided, and his spiritual pool successfully evolved and quietly reached A-level after a deep sleep that night.
    As the quiet period passed, it was finally time for classes to begin at various colleges of Grantis University.
    Since they accept top students from various fields, many media outlets randomly interview several students in front of each college. For the popular Medical College, the recently famous Xu Qing'an was definitely one of the 'random' students.
    Xu Qing'an appeared relaxed and composed in front of the cameras, as if the recent events hadn't affected his mindset, and he answered the interview questions clearly and logically.
    Various comments popped up online.
    [Actually, I can understand Xu Qing'an. After being oppressed by his brother for so long, getting engaged to someone he loves would naturally make him feel triumphant and eager to show off.]
    [Right, at least he's better than his brother who only knows how to use violence.]
    [I guess no one would bother to interview Xu Qingran's college, right? Haha.]
    However, there were also different opinions.
    [Weird, doing wrong is doing wrong. How can someone justify interfering in others' relationships?]
    [Some netizens' values and comments really open my eyes.]
    [Just to be clear, I'm definitely not defending that little jerk Xu Qingran, but green tea homewreckers, get lost!]
    Grandis University was famous not only for its medical, law, and computer arts programs but its military academy was particularly renowned. However, the academy had strict rules, so the media could only interview at the outermost gate, farthest from the base.
    This live broadcast was being closely followed by countless people from both military camps of the Empire.
    There were those who came to see the grandeur, those interested in the latest developments of the nation's elite, those looking for handsome men and beautiful women, and those simply curious to join in the fun. The event had a massive following, with nearly every entertainment venue's screens across the country broadcasting it live.
    Shen Tingyu sat in his office, where a screen on the wall was broadcasting the news.
    His adjutant, who had just walked in, stood by his side to watch, squinting with amusement: "Ah, really looking forward to this year's new students. Wonder if there will be any impressive talents."
    Shen Tingyu watched the presenter in the broadcast and smiled lightly, "Indeed, it's something to look forward to."
    Having just returned to his position today, the adjutant turned to glance at him, and was about to refocus on the TV when he suddenly noticed a faint, not yet fully faded bruise on Shen Tingyu's face.
    The adjutant expressed surprise, "Admiral, you're injured?"
    Leaning back in his chair, Shen Tingyu, with his hands crossed on his lap, paused briefly before replying with a smirk, "Just a minor scratch from a cat with a bit of a temper."
    The adjutant: "?"
    Does a cat scratch look like that?
    "Oh! It seems the new students of the Military Academy have already started arriving at the school, and we don't have much time left officially. Let's ask the cameraman to quickly capture the first lucky student!" the enthusiastic news presenter said.
    Comments and live chats across various platforms were filled with anticipation.
    [I trust the presenter's judgment. She always picks eye-catching hunks each year, and I'm sure the first one this year will be no different!]
    [Will it be someone like Lu Cheng, Shen Tingyu, Xie Nanjun, or Su Wenming?]
    [Last year's Qi Heqian and Song Zifei, those handsome sunny boys, were great!]
    [Hahaha, imagine if Xu Qingran popped up, that would be hilarious.]
    [Stop scaring us with ghost stories in the comments!]
    [Xu Qingran is famously known for being super F-grade weak, how could he possibly be in a military school? Even in a fantasy story, that's a bit too far-fetched!]
    While the conversation continues, the reporter's eyes suddenly light up as she spots her first interview candidate.
    "Hello there, are you a new student at Grantis Military Academy? Would you mind giving us a brief interview?" she asks eagerly.
    As the reporter speaks, the camera shifts to another individual.
    The young man in the frame is dressed in a light yellow jacket and fitted jeans. Removing his sun hat, he reveals a stunningly handsome face with long lashes that flutter up to reveal captivating, peach blossom eyes that gradually fill with a light smile.
    Facing the camera, he cocks a corner of his mouth in an expression mixing pride and mischief: "Sure, why not."
    The comments and live chat fall silent for a few seconds.
    In that moment, countless minds connect in disbelief.
    — Holy smokes!!!