Page 4

The silence was broken by the sound of footsteps approaching, a young man joining the group. It was Walter Blackwood, Thomas's younger brother, eternally in the shadow of his older sibling. Walter was different from Thomas, more approachable, more open. He had always been curious about Isabella, finding her to be an enigma that he couldn't quite solve. As he approached, Isabella could see the question in his eyes, the same question that had been plaguing her for so long.

   Walter spoke, his voice soft in contrast to his brother's commanding tone. "Thomas, is there something you want from Isabella? Or is this just another game?" The question was laced with a worry that Walter had begun to feel, a worry that his brother was not as invincible as he appeared.

   Thomas's eyes never left Isabella as he answered Walter. "I don't know, Walter. I just know that I can't seem to stay away." The admission was a rare one, and it was met with a mixture of shock and understanding from those around them. Isabella felt a thrill of excitement, a sense of validation in knowing that she had affected Thomas in a way that he could not deny or hide.

   Robert Chamberlain's eyes narrowed, his suspicion of Thomas's intentions growing. "You are playing a dangerous game, Thomas. You know the consequences if you were to cross my family." His words were a warning, a reminder of the stakes that were at play.