Breaking Barriers

I woke up to the feeling of soft curls brushing my neck and delicate fingers tracing over my nipples. "I have work in two hours," I heard through the fog of sleep. "I'm not sure how you plan to follow me around at work but I need you to wake up."

"You're not going to work," I groaned before wrapping my arm around him to keep him pinned to my chest. He definitely didn't like that and huffed into my neck.

"My dad will have a coronary."

"Good thing you're both doctors," I answered before slowly peaking my eyes open to see mercury glaring into my soul. "You can't go to work with a psycho Mussolini trying to kill us."

"Trying to kill you," he corrected. "He might not have even seen me."

That made me sit up. I wiped the sleep from my eyes and groaned when the soreness from last night came creeping in. "Maverick, I think it's really hot when you try to overpower me but when it's something this serious, you're gonna have to learn how to shut up and take direction." I popped my back before looking over at him only to see he was even more made than before.

"I understand that you think you have some kind of right over my life because someone is trying to kill you but you're gonna have to learn how to sit the fuck down and let me live my own life," he huffed back before he hopped off of the bed and headed toward the en-suite.

"Maverick," I groaned but the door slamming was enough of a response. "I'm just trying to help."

"No one asked for it!" He shouted through the door before the water started. Never had I met someone as temperamental and emotional as I was, fuck. One second he's fine and the next he's losing his shit. I knew it came from a lack of control in his childhood thanks to his brother but it really fucking sucked when I was just trying to do the right thing by him. If this was anyone in the lifestyle they would understand without a word but here we are.

I groaned again as I wiped my face. Somehow I was more tired than when I went to sleep. Being with someone took a lot of effort and for the life of me I was trying but he made everything so much more damn difficult. I say go right and he has to go left just in spite of me. I understood more than most people could when it came to needing to please their father but with all the information he had heard in the last twenty-four minutes, you'd think he would be a little smarter.

I walked over to the door and quietly checked to see if it was locked. When the knob continued to turn, I crept inside of the now foggy room before silently shutting the door. I made with work of getting undressed before I slid the curtain so I could peak inside only to see Maverick with his arms crossed and an eyebrow cocked at me.

Busted.

"You think you can just come in here—" he began but I already had decided to step inside of the shower.

"—You were being stubborn so I came in here to try and persuade you," I offered as I slowly reached my hand out to touch his beautiful skin right below his belly button where I had left a love bite. The hand was quickly smacked away and I tried to reign in my annoyance at the interruption. We did have more important things to worry about.

"Apollo," Maverick huffed and I quickly met his silver eyes. "The way you say thing sometimes is the reason I get so annoyed with you."

"I—"

"Just let me talk," he snipped and I just leaned back against the wall in surrender. "You said I needed to learn how to take orders... How would you like it if I said that to you?"

I'd laugh. "I'd hate it."

Much better.

"Exactly... I just... I have to be about to work or else my dad will find out about us and probably chloroform me to get me to Europe," he said with a chuckle before cupping my jaw. "I want to be with you... I want to be here with you. But, I have a life to maintain."