Walking on glass

I always used to fit in. My smile was bright, my wit was sharp, and my loyalty was unheard of. My family fawned over me, held me up on a this pedestal like I was the mighty god Apollo I was named after up until that night. That one fucking night where everything I came to know changed.

I admit it was my fault; I betrayed my eldest cousin, my Cappo, my best friend all because I was too scared of my father to stand up to him, but I never wanted Ace to get hurt. Ace was, like I said, more than just my leader... her was my best friend. I was the first to know he was gay, his second in command when he came of age, and his shoulder to cry on when his bastard of a father used to beat the gay out of him. I never thought my life would turn out this way... I never thought I would become the omega.

It took one mistake... one, and suddenly I was someone else in their eyes. Xabriel, my baby cousin, didn't look up to me anymore and instead turned his nose up at the man who betrayed Ace. Mariano, once my closest friend, threw insults at me like knives and fought me away. Up until Ace forgave me... or somewhat forgave me, I was trash and only Diana, my twin sister, cared. She understood how scary our father was... she knew about how he used to burn me with his cigarettes and slap around our mother. His brother once upon a time used to beat up Leona Mussolini until she finally ran away with her now husband and Amari demanded for him to be killed. It ran in their blood to be ruthless and only our mother, Diana, and I knew.

And, I wouldn't ever tell anyone.

No one would listen. I was a ghost nowadays, slinking around the Lazzaratti halls avoiding my cousins unless addressed and watching each of them in their own bubble of happiness. Asa had Cecilio, his husband for almost a year now, Diana had Micheal, who was the only man I approve of, and a baby boy on the way, Xabriel had the perverse lawyer Constantine and they were looking into adoption, and Mariano had Logan, the annoying cop with the most arrogant personality I had ever seen, and two little girls, Jordania and Adriana. I was alone. My mother didn't even come out of her house anymore after the shame father and I both caused her and Diana tried to help me but with her baby due any day now, she couldn't be my support anymore.

Sad to say, the only thing I had to look forward to everyday was the annoying Doctor Jaxon Chaplin and his even more annoying son, Maverick Chaplin. When Ace has given me the job of picking up hydrocodone, I never expected working with a man so annoying I wanted to rip his teeth out and a son who barely just came from med school and managed to get under my skin. I was expecting a boring pick up. I wanted a boring pick up, but Jaxon found it amusing to make me wait and Maverick made it his job to pick a fight with me because I was 'black mailing' his father.

Ha!

His dad practically came at the price Ace and Cecil offered him for under the table drugs. Jaxon practically begged to be apart of it. I tried to explain that to his son, honestly, but Maverick had this picture perfect dad in his head and refused to see the corruption in him.

Whatever.

Not my problem.

My actually problem was dealing with the young doctor when all I wanted was the drugs. I would park in the same spot out of camera reach, sit against the car— maybe smoke a little, and wait. It worked at first. I would call Jaxon and tell him to drop it off, he would make me wait because he's an asshole, but the job would get done either which way. Up until his son started working at the same hospital and made the mistake of following his dad to our little meet up.

That's when it all went to hell.

I could remember it clearly; Jaxon giving me the bag of drugs, me handing him the cash, and then him leaving. I had been minding my business, looking through the drugs when along came Sally— Shorter than me by five inches landing him at a whopping five-nine, deep silver eyes that held a coldness only to be compared to the edge of a blade, a long, sharp nose that held freckles sprinkled across the bridge, and a pair of pouty lips that were pink and ready to rock. He was gorgeous, honestly. I was too busy staring at how attractive he was and didn't even see his fist come up but I sure as hell felt it when it slammed right into my mouth.