Chapter 22

(Hey all! So since I forgot to mention this in the authors note at the end of the last chapter, I thought I'd better do so now before I forgot and confused a lot of people. The girl from the last chapter, Luna, was a reference to one of my other many Black Butler fanfictions, His Butler's Acquaintance. I'm not exactly sure why I put her in here. Probably just cause I could. Anyway, you can go read that other story if you want, but I'm warning you now: that was one of the first stories I'd written once I started Wattpad. I've still got a bunch more written that I need to add, I just haven't had the time to type it up. Anyway, you've been warned. I hope you enjoy this chapter of Recovering the Lost!)

(Future me here. Just so you know, His Butler's Acquaintance has been discontinued and a new story about Luna is in progress. It is called The Rogue Demon, and I'd love if you all would check it out. I'm absolutely loving it so far, and I would love your feedback. Thanks in advance, and on with the story!)

Selena's POV:

About thirty minutes later, the medical team left and told me to rest. I just nodded, and Luna smiled to me as she left the room, closing the door behind her.

About five minutes after that, I stood and walked over to the door. Alex had said I'd been out for about half a day, hadn't he? I didn't want to rest anymore. I shouldn't have to if they removed the poison and fixed my cut. Sure I was still sick, but I had been since birth. I wanted to walk around, and I was planning to do just that.

I put my ear to the door and listened for footsteps, then opened the door. The hallway was clear, so I stepped out and walked around.

I had been wandering the floor of the mansion for about fifteen minutes when I suddenly heard a door open behind me. I froze in place, ready to fight if need be.

"Selena? What are you doing out of bed?"

I instantly relaxed at the sound of my brother's voice, and turned to face him. "I just wanted to walk around instead of resting for once. That seems to be all I ever do anymore."

Alex walked up to me and grabbed my hand. "Come on. I'll walk you back to your room. If Sebastian finds you missing, there's no telling what he'll do."

I smiled and nodded, walking with Alex back toward my room. He still calls our dad by his name. Is he still mad at him? Or is he just not used to it yet? I was thinking about this when another thought popped into my head.

"Hey, Alex? Why were you in that room?"

"Oh," he said, sounding somewhat caught off guard. "That's Samantha's room. I just wanted to check on her since she was injured helping us."

"Is she alright?"

He nodded. "She's a bit shaken up, believing the whole thing is her fault, but I-"

"Why would she think everything was her fault?" I interrupted. "She couldn't have possibly known that they were coming here after me. She-"

"She thinks she's to blame for you being injured."

"But she's not! I told her to let them in. I wanted to fight for myself. It's my fault I was hurt, and no one else's. I'll go tell her that, too!"

I started to turn, but Alex grabbed my shoulder with his free hand. "You need to get back to your room for right now, Selena," he reminded me. "Besides, she's resting, like you should be. You can have this conversation with her later."

I simply nodded, then we continued toward my room.

***

Third Person POV:

Alex and Selena were almost back to her room when she suddenly froze. Alex glanced over at her, and she had suddenly begun to look feverish. Her grip on Alex's hand tightened, and she seemed to be fighting with herself.

Alex was about to do something, when she collapsed. She lay sprawled on the floor, coughing violently, and breathing shallowly. Fortunately, there was a servant wandering the halls, and she ran up to Selena and forced her to sit up, then gently rubbed her back, trying to soothe her.

Selena's coughing slowly started to subside, and eventually stopped. The servant helped her stand, then returned her to Alex, who nodded to the demon girl, then picked up his sister and carried her into her room.

Once he laid Selena on her bed, she immediately clutched her pillow and started to take deep breaths. Her coughing fits seemed to be getting worse. Alex sat on the bed beside his sister, rubbing her back until she finally drifted off to sleep, her breathing returning to normal.

Once he was sure Selena was asleep, he left to search for his father. He had yet to tell him of what Serena had told him, and by the looks of things, Selena couldn't wait much longer for the medicine.

Alex found him downstairs with Maria. It sounded like they were talking about Selena's condition. Alex already knew of it, so he walked into the room, causing their conversation to end mid-sentence.

Maria spoke first. "Alex? Do you need something?"

Alex ignored her, turning straight to his father. "I need to talk to you. Now, preferably."

Sebastian nodded, then glanced to Maria. She nodded as well, then stood. "I'll go check on Peter and Finny." Then she left the room.

"What did you need?" Sebastian asked.

"Serena talked to me while Selena was out."

Sebastian seemed shocked. "But they joined back together. Serena should technically no longer exist."

"She doesn't anymore. It's just Selena now. But she told me she was using the last of her individual power to speak with me."

"Well?" Sebastian asked. "What did she tell you?"

Alex sighed. "She told me that Selena would be too sick to track down Angelina. And by the looks of it, she was telling the truth. She just had another fit a few minutes ago."

Sebastian sighed. "Then we need to find a way to contact her soon. I'll try to think of some ways to do it, while you stay with Selena. She'd want you in there right now."

Alex nodded, then walked back upstairs to Selena's room.

(Sorry if this chapter is bad! I'm leaving for a mission trip tomorrow and I wanted to at least post something. So I won't be able to write for a week, so don't expect another update for a while. Plus the whole writers block thing has been hitting me hard lately. Well, what can ya do? Love you all! Thanks for reading!)