Chapter 28

Third Person POV:

When Alex awoke, he was in his room in the manor. He quickly sat up, ignoring the pain in his stomach, and looked around the room, remembering earlier's events. Jumping up, he ran for the door, only to be stopped by someone behind him quickly grasping his hand in their's.

Alex glanced back, ready to tell off whoever was trying to hold him back. But once he saw who it was, his anger vanished.

"Samantha, what are you doing here?"

The demon girl looked down at the floor. "I was ordered to stay here with you, so that I could stop you if you tried to leave to find Selena."

"Well, thanks, but I'm going to go find her. You can't stop me."

"Maybe. But can I at least ask you to wait a while longer? Sebastian has been making plans and putting together search parties ever since he returned."

"Which I guess means he had no luck?"

Samantha sadly shook her head.

Alex sighed. "Alright. I'll wait. Rushing off would be dangerous, anyway."

Smiling, Samantha nodded. "Sebastian should be putting you on a team with some others. You'll more than likely be flying and radioing in to a ground team, who will also be able to provide aid."

"Will you be on it? My team?"

Her smile widened. "I guess we'll have to wait and see, won't we?"

Alex gave her a small smile in return. "I guess so." He then walked out of the room, down to the dining hall, where he assumed his father was.

Once there, he noticed his assumption was correct, but he hadn't thought so many people would be rushing about, nor had he thought his father would be standing by the table, screaming orders to the demonic staff.

Sebastian noticed Alex enter the room, and took a deep breath. He didn't need Alex to see him so worried, but it was definitely going to be something that happened anyway.

"Alex," Sebastian said as his son approached the table, "Are you alright?"

"It doesn't matter," Alex replied bluntly. "What's happening?"

"Alex, it does matter. I'm not sending you out to look for Selena if you're still injured."

"Then I'm fine."

Sebastian sighed, the glanced around the room. He called over a demon girl with long white hair, Luna, and told her to go find Maria and send her down. Then Sebastian began explaining the plan to his son.

"Did you need me, Sebastian?"

Sebastian and Alex glanced up and saw Maria standing in the doorway, holding Peter. Sebastian nodded to her, handed her son off to Finny-who had previously been sitting around waiting for orders and worried to death about Selena-and approached the table.

"I need you to make sure Alex is well enough to help us. I refuse to send him out if he isn't at least mostly recovered."

Maria gaped at Sebastian. "You expect him to be recovered from gunshot wounds and a fractured wing in just a couple of hours? It takes Selena days to recover from those kinds of injuries."

"Selena is also deathly ill. Now I need her brother to be checked and healthy or he isn't leaving this manor. Do you understand?"

Maria nodded, then took Alex's hand. "I'll make it quick, alright?"

Alex simply nodded, then followed the reaper up the stairs.

Finny was the next to approach Sebastian. "What will I be doing?"

Sebastian glanced from the gardener down to his paper listing everyone and their jobs. "You'll be with Maria, checking the area south of here."

Finny nodded.

Sebastian called over another demon. "Take Peter somewhere and look after him while we are gone."

The demon, a young woman, took Peter's hand and led him down the hall.

"Thanks," Finny spoke.

Sebastian waved it off and quickly got back to work. He couldn't waste any more time. As soon as he knew if Alex was going to come along, they were leaving.

***

Selena's POV:

I awoke in a daze, not really remembering anything. I knew I was cold, yet burning at the same time. I lifted my arm into my small and blurry line of sight, and saw the burned skin.

I tried to sit up, but I couldn't move. Every muscle hurt like I'd been hit by a carriage after being trampled by the horses. I lay there, burning and freezing, until someone called my name.

"Selena..."

I groaned in pain as I tried to sit up. A massive headache hit me all at once, almost knocking me down again. My vision was still blurred, but I could see more than before.

I saw a bright white light standing before me, outside of what looked like a cage. I squinted, trying to block the light and still be able to see.

"Who's there?" I asked, my words slurred.

"It's Angelina, Selena. Your aunt."

"What are you doing here?" I croaked, then coughed immediately after doing so.

"I came to check up on you, deary. I had a feeling they would take you here."

That was when all of the events that had happened earlier came flooding back to me. "Alex!" I screamed, coughing and choking. "Angelina.... where's my brother?"

"I'm afraid he isn't here. They made sure they only took you, Angel."

I took a deep, ragged breath, trying to calm my racing heart. "Do you have my medicine?"

Angelina smiled. "Yes, Selena, I do. But it won't be able to keep you healthy all your life, so I was hoping to deliver it to Maria and see if she is able to duplicate it."

I nodded. "I understand. The hunters may not let me live anyway. It would be a shame to waste the medicine on a lost cause."

Angelina sighed. "You are not a lost cause, Selena."

"I might as well be." I muttered under my breath.

"Well, I have to go now, Selena. They heard you screaming for your brother. The best thing you could do now is fake it and make them think they were hearing things. The cage will burn, but you'll be alright. Good luck to you, child."

I nodded and fell back down to the bottom of the cage, trying to lie as lifelessly as possible. I was completely down when I saw the bright light fade away, and heard the doors swing open. The hunters came up to my cage.

One of them poked my with a sharp rod. "You alive, monster?"

"Yeah, you little freak of nature, get up. Scream for your monster brother again. I dare ya."

I refused to move. My breathing was already light and jagged, so that helped a little, and I didn't have to fake it.

I heard the crunch of snow as the men walked away, and when the doors closed, I sat up and crawled to the edge of the cage.

I was about 5 feet up from the ground, which was covered in snow, inside a cage built using anti-demon metals. They were trying to burn me alive and turn me into an ice sculpture. Lovely.

(So, this one doesn't have the best ending, and I'm writing this while sleep deprived and still jumpy from my awesome experience last night that I refuse to go into detail about because I don't want people to hate me. I hope you guys enjoyed it. Funny how every time I started to write this chapter, something happened where I had to stop for a little while. Maybe if I hadn't had any interruptions, it would have gone a little smoother. Anyway, thanks for reading. I have no clue how many more chapters this story will have, or if there will be enough story after this one to write a fourth one. I do have some short stories planned, but those will only come after this is at least 90% finished. So if any of you have ideas for a fourth book, PM me and let me know. I don't want them in the comments because then others may say something about it. Anyway, love you guys! Thanks again!)