Chapter 27

I finally made it to the front door. I saw my brother in the arms of the hunters, and lost it.

"Alex!!" I screamed, just as Finny caught up with me and grabbed me once again. "Alex..." I cried.

My father spun around and glared at me. I had never seen him so angry. His eyes were bright red and he looked like the devil himself. It was scary.

I stood up straighter and tried to face him. "Dad, just let me go with them."

"Selena, why are you out here?" He asked, and I could tell her was trying to mask his anger, but I'd already seen it.

"Because Alex told me what was going on. I'll go with them, Dad. Save my brother."

"Selena, your sick. I can't just let you go with them."

"Yes, you can!!" I yelled at him. He was taken aback by my outburst. I'd never yelled at him like this before. "It's the least you could do after keeping him hidden from me."

I could see my father's anger and shock turn to pure sadness. "Selena, your mother and I only did what we thought was right. I thought you understood that."

"I did, but if you think I'm going to let my brother die, then you're wrong. I've barely known him for a month. I can't let him go again."

Suddenly my mind went back to that day at the campfire, me huddling under a blanket as Alex told me that we could be a team, helping people see that we weren't monsters. He told me that one day I could help guide lost souls in the world between life and death.

"Dad, I understand how you feel, but let's think for a second. You and I both know that I probably won't live through my illness."

"Selena, don't talk like that."

I went on, ignoring him. "You deserve to have at least one of us. And who is more likely to live?"

"Selena, you'll be fine once we find Angelina and get you your medicine, so stop talking like you're going to die!"

I was stunned. Dad had never once yelled at me, that I could remember, even back when I had wanted so badly just to die and quit being a bother to everyone. Even when I yelled at him to leave me alone in the carriage rides. Even when I was ignoring him and pushing him away because he'd kept Alex a secret from me. Even when Mom died, and we all knew that it was my fault.

Dad sighed as he saw me slump over, filled with sadness and dread. Then he made an order.

"Finny, go with Selena and put her back in her room. Along the way, send down every one of the workers you see. I-"

Just then, I spread my wings, breaking Finny's grasp, and flew up toward the ceiling. Never had I been so thankful for a giant main hall.

"Selena," Dad said in a warning voice. "Get back down here."

I shrugged. "Ok, I'll come down." Then I flew down and out the door, landing behind the hunters.

Alex finally looked at me, letting the hunters know he was awake. I jumped on a group of them, punching and kicking, begging them to let my brother go.

I heard my father yell for me to stop, and saw him run outside after me. Finny ran deeper into the house, saddening me slightly. He won't help me save my brother?

I shook him off, not needing him to get to me while trying to break Alex free. By the looks of him, he was a little more than banged up. His wings weren't folded up, almost like they wouldn't fold completely. He was bleeding from his stomach and his shoulder. His left eye was swollen, along with his lower lip.

"Alex!" I screamed. "Get up! Please!"

A moment later, the servants from the house came rushing outside, along with Finny and Maria. Finny started taking out hunters with punches, while Maria pulled out her scythe.

"There's a reaper here, too!" One of the hunters yelled.

Another answered. "Drop the boy and grab the girl! The rest of you get out of here!"

At that, I flew straight up, but a couple of the hunters grabbed my legs, weighing me down. I made it up about ten feet before my tired and swore wings gave out, and I fell to the ground.

I hit my head when I hit the ground. I saw everything go fuzzy and start spinning. I heard people yelling my name, begging me to get up, but I couldn't move.

"Selena..."

I closed my eyes.

"Who's there? Alex?"

"Bingo." He said. "Look at me."

I opened my eyes, and saw Alex smiling down at me.

"You won't be going alone, Selena. If they take you, I'm going, too."

I felt my eyes flutter shut.

"Alex, stay here. Let Maria help you get better. Live, and just forget about me."

"You think that's possible? I won't ever be able to forget you."

I felt water on my face. I instantly knew they were Alex's tears. He wouldn't leave me. I smiled to myself.

"Thank you..." I whispered, before finally drifting out of consciousness.

***

Third Person POV:

"Thank you..." Selena whispered, just before passing out completely.

Alex smiled at his sister, who was bruised and bloodied from trying to help him. "I made a promise to you, Selena. I won't let you die. No matter what happens, I'll save you."

Just then, someone kicked Alex in the face, sending him flying into Maria, who fell to the ground. When he finally stood, the hunters were gone, with Selena. A few demons, including Sebastian, ran after them.

Alex fell to the ground again, weak and exhausted. He saw a demon girl in front of him, and barely made out who it was before he, too, lost consciousness.

"Samantha?"

She smiled at the sleeping boy she held in her arms. "Yes, Alex. It's me. And I'll help you keep your promise, I swear it."

(Yay! This one was a disaster! I haven't written in forever, and I'm sorry to all of you who have been waiting for this for so long. I just haven't been able to get myself into the writing mood since school started back. Next thing, even thought I have more than 1000 followers, only two people have voted for the thing. Which I guess is fine, but I was expecting more than that. Remember, this is your chance to get me to update faster. And just so I can try to get a few more votes, the new deadline is Halloween! The day before my 17th birthday. Come on, everyone. Make it a birthday present or something. Please? I'll try to update on my birthday and tell everyone what won. So yeah. Love you all! And don't forget to vote by PMing me!)