Chapter 12

Selena stood, then turned and ran from them. Serena saw her disappear, probably to see everyone else.

"You should probably go," Serena told Alex. "I don't know what will happen if you stay here for too long."

Alex nodded, closed his eyes, and concentrated on leaving.

***

When Alex came to, Selena was sitting up on the couch, crying. Her father was beside her, trying to comfort her, but she kept pushing him away. Selena had never pushed her father away from her before. Alex watched, confused.

Selena looked over to Alex. "Did you know?"

Alex was even more confused. "Did I know what?"

Selena could tell he had no idea what was going on, and she felt thankful that he hadn't been keeping secrets from her as well.

She took a deep breath before speaking, "You're-"

The sound of violent knocking on the door cut her off. "Stay here," Maria whispered, then went to answer the door.

A few moments later, she came back with Finny. Selena smiled seeing him. He came over and hugged her gently. Alex was still confused.

"We should go now. It's already a bit later than we decided to leave." Maria looked at Selena. "I'm sure we can explain everything later. But for now, we have to go. If my ex husband was right, they'll be here any moment."

Selena nodded, but refused help from anyone but Finny, who had no idea what was going on.

"Explain what?" He asked. No one answered him.

Alex numbly followed along. Why isn't she trusting anyone else anymore? What's going on? He thought to himself nervously. Selena always trusted him, since the beginning. Ever since she stood from her place in the snow that cold winter night in America, when she faced him head on, when she saw his wings. She'd never lost trust until a few moment ago. Was it something I did?

Alex didn't have time to think more about it, because when he looked up, Sebastian was facing him.

"What did you have to do to break the barrier?" Sebastian asked quietly.

Alex's gaze remained on Selena, who was heavily relying on Finny so she could walk, while he answered. "I don't know. Serena told me to use angel powers on it, so I just concentrated my powers on the barrier. Next thing I know, it's fading away."

"That barrier was made out of powerful demon magic. I'm surprised you alone were able to overcome it."

"How did you know that? I didn't think you even knew the barrier was there until Serena told you."

"I knew." He didn't continue, and Alex wasn't sure he wanted to know why or how the demon knew these things. Was Sebastian the reason Selena had a block in her mind? Why would he do something like that to his daughter? What was he trying to protect her from? Alex had many more questions than these, but he kept them all to himself. Sebastian didn't really look like he felt willing to share everything yet.

They made it to the carriage that was waiting in front of the house. Sebastian grabbed the bags, while Maria got in the carriage and then helped Finny get Selena inside. Alex helped put bags in the carriage, then went back inside for Peter.

He was sitting on his bed, reading a book. Alex assumed Maria had told him to stay there until someone came for him.

Peter looked up to see Alex, then closed his book and stood. He grabbed his few bags and followed Alex outside.

He took the bags from Peter and put them in the carriage as the boy climbed inside. He put the last one in, then froze. He felt something strange.

"I'll be right back," he said, then spread his wings and quickly flew into the sky.

It took a few minutes, but eventually he saw it, and it made his jaw drop.

It was a massive throng of humans, running toward them. Some it white labcoats, most in black hunters gear, covered in weapons.

***

Selena's POV:

I couldn't think straight when Alex yelled to my father that we had to leave. My mind was trying to process old memories that had just been discovered. Memories of Mom, Dad, my friends from the demon world, and even Alex.

My headache had only become worse, and I was hearing voices. What's going on?

"Selena!"

"Serena?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's me," she replied. "You've got to snap out of this."

"What's happening to me?"

"Another angel is trying to communicate with you. You need to stop fighting it. It'll only hurt you worse."

"Okay..." I said, then reluctantly took a deep breath, trying to relax.

"Can you hear me?" A new voice questioned. It sounded feminine and caring.

"Who are you?" I asked.

I could almost hear her sigh in relief. "My name is Angelina. I want to help you."

"I doubt that. I'm half demon, I have a friend who is half and half, another who is a reaper, one human, and my father is a demon. And a little human boy who is half reaper. I doubt you want to be associated with us."

"What is you name?" She asked, sounding unaffected by my rudeness.

I remained quiet.

When she spoke again, her voice held some annoyance. "If you are willing to accept my help, meet me in the meadow at midnight. The one by the woods. I'll be waiting for you."

And then her presence in me disappeared, and my headache lightened to almost nothing. I sighed in relief, leaning on Finny's shoulder. A moment later the carriage was moving, and fast.

"What's wrong?" I asked Alex, who was now in the carriage next to Finny. (Peter was sitting on Maria's lap.)

Alex looked over at me and smiled. I didn't understand why he was smiling. Maybe he could tell I felt better. He answered, "A massive amount of hunters, scientists with them. I'm guessing they're out for revenge. But they're all headed this way, so we need to get out of here. Fast."

I nodded, and lowered myself in the seat. I kept my head rested on Finny, and let memories play through my mind, sorting themselves out. Suddenly the carriage jolted, and quickly gained speed. When I looked out the window, the trees were the only thing in sight. I needed to tell the others what had happened, and what Angelina had told me. I decided to wait until we got to wherever it was Dad wanted to take us, and closed my eyes again, surprisingly falling asleep (considering that we were going so fast). I dreamed of newly found memories of Alex and my mother, and feeling the betrayal I had when I'd woken up.