Chapter 30

Selena's POV:

It was so cold. It was dark and cold. I had to try to keep myself from touching the cage, but every time the hunters came out to see if I had woken up, I had to lay back down and try not to let the burning get to me. The burning hurt, the cold winter wind was freezing. Maybe if they knew I was awake, they'd take me inside. Maybe the cold air was supposed to wake me up.

No. I couldn't let them know I was awake. If they knew, they'd torture me. I was sure that was what they were waiting for. They wanted me to wake up so they could kill me slowly.

I wanted to cry. I wanted to just lay my head on my arms and ball like a baby. But whenever I tried, no tears came. I didn't understand. I always cried like a baby when I was in these situations. Why couldn't I cry now?

I had almost given up faith on being rescued. Every other time I'd been kidnapped, my father had known where I was. Now no one knew where to find me. I didn't even know where I was. All I knew was that it was dark and cold.

I laid my head on my arms.

"Alex, where are you?"

***

Third Person POV:

Alex was flying just above the treetops. From where he was, he could get the occasional glimpse of Maria's blonde hair as she ran through the woods, searching around, scythe drawn.

"Alex? You still up there? I can't see you anymore," Samantha's voice asked from the radio.

"Yeah, I'm here. Need me to come down a little?" he responded.

"No, as long as you're okay. Have you seen anything yet?"

"Not yet, but Maria has her scythe drawn. Has she reported anything in yet?"

"I haven't heard anything. Maybe she just saw a bear or something."

"Maybe. I'm gonna keep looking."

"Be careful."

Alex watched the ground for anything that looked even slightly like a clue. They'd been searching for hours, well into the night and all anyone had seen was a bunch of wilderness, and nothing more. But Alex was determined to keep looking.

"Alex, where are you?"

Startled, Alex flew into a tree.

"Samantha, stop for a second." Alex said into his radio. "I need a minute."

"Sure thing. You coming down?"

"No. I've got a spot up here."

Alex sat on a branch and closed his eyes. "Selena?"

He heard his sister gasp. "Alex! You can hear me!"

"Always. Are you alright? Where are you?"

"I don't know. They've had me trapped outside for hours. I'm freezing, and burning, and I can't see anything around me. Alex, help..."

"Hang on, Selena. We're searching for you, but you have to hold on. You have no idea about where you are?"

"No. I don't... But wait! Angelina was here!"

"Are you sure you weren't dreaming?" Alex asked, confused. "I don't think she would find you just to leave and not help you."

"No, I promise you it was her. But she said something about having a feeling they would take me here. If that helps, then use it. I don't know where I could be. It's so dark..."