Chapter 4: Alvin: Covering Up

"Alvin! You could have destroyed the whole house! There is no reason for you to EVER turn my laser machine on disco mode! That was just an experiment and was not even ready to be tested yet!"

I was totally busted.

"Relax Simon. That is the price we had to pay to save the world."

"Save the world? Are you crazy? What could that possibly have to do with saving the world? You split the tree in the backyard in half!"

"Don't even get me started either Alvin! You told me that Simon needed help, only to sabotage his inventions! What's the point of that?"

"Sorry but I had no choice. It was the first step in taking down the body snatcher. I had to make sure you were occupied and I could interrogate the body snatcher without interference, but just as I was about to catch it, it disappeared into thin air!"

"You mean you almost destroyed the house because you were trying to take down an alien!"

The conversation was not going nearly as well as I had hoped. I don't know why I had expected better, but for some reason I figured I would be able to weasel my way out of it like usual.

"Oh, not just any alien Jeanette, an alien that doesn't exist!"

"Body snatchers do exist! Go ahead and ignore all of the evidence Simon. Why don't you ask yourself what a scientist would do in this situation. I guarantee you a REAL scientist would attempt to prove their point with evidence."

"Challenge accepted!"

"Really?"

I thought to myself that maybe I really would be able to get out of it without too many consequences. Sometimes all you have to do is insult Simon's intelligence and he forgets all about the main issue.

"I have to prove that she is just normal Brittany, before you can prove that she actually is a body snatcher. I'm going to begin my studies tomorrow and prove you wrong."

"Game on!"

"Hold on, Alvin, you think my sister is an alien? Are you insane!"

I couldn't help to realize that I probably was a little insane, but I also realized how totally genius I was! My plan was actually going to work!

"These past couple days she has acted completely differently and I believe she has her eyes set on me as her next target! She has been acting super weird around me and has even started being nice!"

"Which, according to the scientific theory that Alvin is so fond of, means that she has been taken over by an alien."

"I'm going home to investigate and ask her a few questions. I'm on Simon's team for this one. No way Brittany was taken over by aliens."

"We'll see about that."

"If you need anything Jeanette let me know!"

As Jeanette left on the zipline, I couldn't help but think that there could have been way more serious consequences if I didn't get so lucky. There was no angry Dave, not even an angry Simon. It was also pretty good that the house didn't burn down. I just needed to rely on Brittany's acting skills to do the rest of the work. She had the harder job, acting like an alien, and she couldn't give too much away or go overboard. All I have to do is act like normal, ridiculous Alvin.