Chapter 5: Brittany: Beginning the Act

"Oh, Jeanette, Jeanette, help, I don't feel very good. Please... help me get into bed."

"Brittany, what is going on? Do you have a fever?"

"I don't know! I just feel like there is something inside my stomach flying around."

"Oh my, Britt, you are burning up!"

"Jeanette, help me off the floor. Ouch!"

"Alright, up we go..."

In reality, I wasn't sick at all. I was attempting to get my sisters to believe that I was super sick. Until Jeanette got there, I had put a super hot rag on my forehead, which I knew would only temporarily feel like a fever, but it didn't need to last long. On top of that, I used one of Alvin's 'sick day' pills he gave me which was supposed to cause me to vomit. I could start to feel it working, and I wasn't looking forward to it.

"Oh, Jeanette, I'm gonna throw—"

I wasn't sure how the pill worked, but it definitely did its job. No wonder Alvin was always able to get out of school whenever he needed to.

"Oh... okay. Well, let's get you into bed quickly, I'll clean up."

"Thanks Jeanette..."

*RIIIIIIIIING!*

"Come on Eleanor, pick up!"

("Hey, hey Ellie.")

("Hey Jeanette, is something wrong?")

("Yeah, Brittany is really sick!")

("Okay... I'm on my way, Theodore and I just finished watching our movie.")

The whole point of this act was to make it seem like my body was acting weird, and that I wasn't in control. Besides the burning in the back of my throat, I felt just fine, which meant I could pretend like somehow I felt 100% again. That would then plant a seed causing them to feel on edge about the possibility of a body snatcher, which I'm sure Alvin will try to convince them of. Once it sounded like a good time to butt in, I stood up and interrupted my sisters' conversation.

"Hey Jeanette! I'm actually feeling fine now!"

"Britt, just lay back down I can—"

"No, don't worry Jeanette, I'm fine! Look, I'm dancing and moving around great!"

I started doing some of the moves from the Nutcracker that I performed last christmas, just to show her I was doing fine.

"You weren't fine five seconds ago! Wait a second? You don't have a fever anymore, and the color returned to your face!"

I wasn't sure what she meant about the color in my face returning, but I wasn't going to argue with her. It was time to freak Jeanette out even more. I bet Alvin probably already mentioned the body snatcher to her.

"Yeah, Jeanette. That feeling was so weird. I kind of felt like I was fighting my own body, or something inside of it, but now my body is feeling good now. I almost felt like I was losing control of my own actions!"

The look on her face was priceless. She started slowly moving away from me.

"That's... weird. We... we might need to get that checked out, Britt."

"I'm going to go to the kitchen and get some food Jeanette."

Honestly, I wasn't going to the kitchen, I was planning on eavesdropping on my sisters' phone call to see how much my acting really succeeded.

"Oh... Okay."

("Eleanor... are you still there?")

("Yeah, sorry I'm coming as fast as I can!")