Chapter 10: Brittany: Target -Dave-

Surprisingly, I really was having fun. Maybe after everything was over, I'd cook with Eleanor more often. Of course, I'd have to make sure they knew that I was definitely free from the body snatcher, so maybe I'd wait a few weeks before I offered to help her cook. I never in a million years would have guessed that I would like to cook. I was having a ton of fun with Eleanor, and I could tell she was having fun too, so I tried to keep the conversation flowing and make it feel as normal as I could.

"Ellie, how much time is left on the last batch of cookies?"

"Only one minute! Once we get them out of the oven, we get to stop the time."

"Do you think it would be a good idea if I took some of these cookies over to Dave? Just as a way to say thanks for taking me to the hospital."

"Well... sure. If you think he would like them."

She hesitated for a second, which was exactly what I wanted. That meant she was suspicious. It had been a relaxing night to break character a bit, but it was time to act like a true body snatcher again.

"Dave is such a nice guy. Isn't he, Ellie?"

"Yeah, he is..."

"I'll get a plate out. Oh! Cookies are done! We finished in two hours and twenty three minutes! Not bad for a first try!"

"Yeah!"

"Do you think Dave would like some strawberries too?"

"Britt, do you think you're giving this a little too much thought? You were really excited about cooking, but now all you care about is giving some of these to Dave."

"Do you think he would like them though?"

"Sure Brittany... go ahead and take them over I guess."

She was totally worried. I felt horrible for ruining the mood, but I had to. No matter how much I just wanted to keep having fun, I had to start up the act again.

"Okay, bye! I'll be back soon."

I slammed the door and stood on the other side hoping to listen in on their conversation.

"Eleanor! Where is she going?"

"She's taking Dave some cookies. She just started acting really weird. I thought for a moment she was just normal Brittany, but then—"

"We gotta be careful Ellie. I'll grab the telescope and we can keep an eye on her."

That was my cue to run! I couldn't get caught eavesdropping! To tell the truth, I was really worried about what the night was going to be like. I had to play a double acting game to get Simon and Dave to believe too! I don't even completely know what Alvin wanted me to do... Our conversation was so rushed. I saw cameras all over the place, so I knew that he had at least gotten Simon to entertain the idea and to attempt to prove him wrong. Whatever I did during the night would be on permanent video, so I have to be sure not to mess anything up. I had to be obvious enough about liking Alvin to convey the point to Simon, but not obvious enough to blow my cover for Jeanette, Eleanor and Theodore. Actually, Theodore would believe anything, so I didn't really need to worry about which side he believes. If I remembered correctly, Dave was allergic to strawberries, and hopefully Alvin could use it to seem like an attack on Dave. I rang the doorbell, hoping and praying that everything went okay. I gave my positive self talk before the door swung open and I saw Dave in the entryway.

"Hi, Dave."

"Hey, Britt."

I immediately forgot what I had planned to say. I was so nervous.

"I... uh, I... I... brought you some strawberries and chocolate—"

"No!"

Alvin shouted across the whole house all the way from the dinner table, always blowing things way out of proportion.