Chapter 8

With all that Gilberto Aguilar had faced, one would think he was cursed.
He ran his hand through his hair as yet another of his subordinates came delivering news about another base of operations that was lost to law enforcement.
How they got hold of that information, he had no idea and to make matters worse, he had heard that his informant in the force was arrested.
He realized all this had begun since he attacked the Rose warehouse at the docks, but it was merely speculation to relate attacks of such a level to the newly formed Rose mafia.
To his understanding, aside from the manpower, they lacked the sufficient connection to any high ranking individual to cause such an uproar.
It was then Gilberto recalled the Hernandez. With how hectic things had been, the thought that what Lucia Hernandez had done to the Martinez was likened to his situation had never crossed his mind.
He simply believed she had no beef with him and from the rumors spread, she had massacred the Martinez because of a personal vendetta.
When left in such a helpless state, he crashed in his chair, pondering if he might've been wrong about Lucia Hernandez.
Suddenly, the ringing of the landline replaced the tense silence in his office, Gilberto hesitating before picking it up.
"Don Aguilar?" A masculine voice emanated from the phone.
"Who is this?" Gilberto asked, not bothering to hide the unease in his voice.
"I'm calling from the Alvarez group and I believe we can help you out." The man replied confidently.
Gilberto went silent for a few moments while he contemplated. He wondered if he was really so desperate as to accept help from an information distribution group, but a quick glance at his reflection in the mirror on his desk gave him the answer he needed.
"What do you need?"
"We can't talk over the phone, Don Aguilar. You should meet with my boss tomorrow evening, I assure you it'll be worth it."
The call disconnected and Gilberto returned the phone to its place, picking up a glass up and throwing it at the wall angrily. To think the great Aguilar family would be reduced to such a level.

Gilberto walked into the fairly lit warehouse, scanning it and noting the absence of anyone else with the exception of his guards.
He gritted his teeth, to think a meager group like the Alvarez would keep him, Don Aguilar waiting.
A set of footsteps from the opposite end of the building caught Gilberto and his subordinates attention, a few reaching for their weapons out of caution.
Stepping into the moonlit center of the building, a tall bald man with a shirt and jeans raised his hands as a show of harmlessness.
"Calm down now, I was the one who called," he said with a light chuckle.
"Where's your boss? Doesn't he know better than to keep a don waiting? Or is he more stupid than I thought he was?" Gilberto barked, ignoring the frown the man wore.
Shutting his eyes briefly, the bald man shifted his body towards a darker area in the warehouse, saying, "This way please, I'll lead you to him. Feel free to take your men with you."
Pushing past him, Gilberto stated angrily, "You don't set the rules, I do. Understood pig?"
Suddenly, the lights in the warehouse went out, the only thing warding off the darkness was the moonlight which came in through a glass opening in the roof.
Turning around nervously as the sounds of hurried footsteps reached his ears, Gilberto pulled out his gun and yelled, his frustration and fear notable in his tone. "What the hell is going on?!"
"You're quite noisy for someone so desperate." Aaron's cold voice rang through the now silent warehouse, the lights returning to reveal the presence of several members of Rose mafia who had surrounded the Aguilar's.
"Sir, we need to get out of here!" An Aguilar guard yelled, eyeing the visible exits.
Clicking his tongue loudly, the masked Aaron leaned on the railing as he looked down on them from the floor above. "That won't do. This is an order to every member of the Rose family, until I say otherwise, the Aguilar's are forbidden from moving. If anyone breaks this rule, kill them."
The echoes of several guns being cocked as the Rose guards aimed at the Aguilar's sent shivers down their spine. But most of them found the order far scarier than the act that happened right after it.
Don Rose was the newest mafia head in the region and so was in an unfavorable position to make any bold actions, or so they thought, but hearing the unfaltering resolve in his tone broke a few of them.
Aaron was indeed a man of his word, and if any of them had made the mistake of moving, they would meet their demise.
"Are you going to remain up there?! I'm willing to negotiate." Gilberto stated with a shaky voice.
A light chortle escaped Aaron, the action tensing the Aguilar's. "I'm quite satisfied with the view from up here. After all, the moonlight makes it easier to see how pathetic you are."
"H-how dare you?!" Gilberto yelled angrily, flinching slightly at the sound of a gun cocking.
"Oh, I've got an idea." Aaron clapped to catch their attention, the action causing more fear than its intended purpose.
"You've all played tag at one point in your lives, yes?" The Aguilar's looked between themselves, confusion written on their features. Returning their gazes to him, Aaron continued.
"Here's what we'll do. There's an office building at the far side of the docks. I'll give you all a thirty second head start, whoever gets there before my men catch up to them will be spared, anyone who doesn't…" Aaron paused, noting the uneasy looks they shared.
"It seems there are no questions." Flagging down his subordinates, the Rose enforcers stepped back and lowered their weapons. "When I give the signal, you move."
Aaron pulled out a black pistol, raising it in the air and firing. Hardly had the bullet casing touched the ground when the men below sprinted out of the building frantically.
Glancing at the pocket watch he had brought out along with his gun, Aaron flipped it close and signaled his men, it was time for the hunt to begin.