Chapter 3

It was all like a nightmare. His thoughts were slow and his body was still in pain as he drifted into consciousness again. Shang Qinghua groaned, as he slowly sat up, ignoring the sheets that slipped down his body and the pain that was a constant travel companion by now. If he wasn’t hit by Mobei-Jun, something else would happen… His hand connected with his forehead, because of the pain there, only to withdraw his hand as if he got burned. Something was off. Terribly so. Not only the pain, also the heat emanating from his skin, also there were hard protrusions. Scared, and panic flaring up, he opened his eyes and was frantically touching his forehead. Ignoring the surrounding people.

“What the fuck! What the hell! What is this?!” Shang Qinghua screamed, trying to look up his head, with little success. “My Lord, please calm down!” Shang Qinghua looked at the man… demon in front of him, who gripped his shoulder, trying to calm him somehow, and his big yellow eyes did nothing the cultivator found calming! He scooted up the bed to avoid the hand, and the demon let him. What shit was going on here? His gaze drifted to the only other demon in the room and his eyes widened.

“My king!” It was a mere whisper.Pathetic. He was pathetic. Again. Nothing his king didn’t already know. “Are you alright?” The last thing he remembered was Linguang-Jun, the fight, and Mobei-Jun collapsing. The glimpse of something weird in Mobei-Jun’s eyes caught Shang Qinghua’s attention, his king’s irises roaming over Shang Qinghua’s form, his gaze lingering on his servant’s head and face slipping down towards his chest. Shang Qinghua’s hands grasped at the blanket and he squeaked as he tried to hide his body, noticing that he was naked. Half-naked, he confirmed, after frantically feeling his body up and down with a hand beneath the blanket. He wore a pair of loose pants. Not the pants he wore back then. Heat crept up his cheeks at the thought of getting undressed from someone else.

“I am fine. But you... Concealing your heritage…” Mobei-Jun scoffed. His king looked fine, as if the fight had never happened. The dark hair flowing over his shoulders. His eyes, a piercing coldness, pupils tiny slits. The demon with those yellow eyes, more lizard features than humanoid ones, gestured with a clawed hand at Shang Qinghua: “At least for a few years. How was it even possible?” Maybe the demon knew more, otherwise, why should he be there? Was he a doctor? Shang Qinghua noticed a bowl of water, some wet cloths and an impressive amount of flasks beside his bed. He was in his room, in Mobei-Jun’s residence, in the northern desert. In the demon realm.
“Conceal? I thought I would die, as the demonic energy was overwhelming my qi… I … Mu Qingfang… he gave me some of his qi, to help me stabilize….” Shang Qinghua mumbled and stared down at his hands. His fingernails were much more pointy…
“What happened to me?” Whiny, he sounded so whiny. Why had he horns, why…Mobei-Jun crossed his arms, the muscles beneath his clothing bulging. Shang Qinghua swallowed hard, not able to look away from his perfect creation.

“I dragged you with me through the shadows. Despite your wounds healing, your overall condition didn’t get better. A fever was burning you up.” Mobei-Jun nodded towards the demon-doctor. “My king wisely informed this humble doctor, as he noticed demon energy within your body that was not from a foreign source but your own. So I assisted in your transformation. Your half-demon blood was weak, held back by some blockages and needed help to spread through your body.” Shang Qinghua gaped. Like a fish, his mouth was opening and closing. So they got it all wrong. The pain and the energy trying to overcome his qi was normal then? They were humans, they didn’t know. And as it seemed, not everything had to be written to function. He, as the author, didn’t write about that .

“You still need time to adjust, and the transformation isn’t complete. We don’t know which demon was involved in your bloodline. Please inform this one of every change you notice as soon as possible.” The demon bowed slightly, then scurried away as Mobei-Jun waved a hand at him. Shang Qinghua’s gaze drifted to Mobei-Jun, who was still looking at him, almost unblinking. “Assisted in my transformation?” Weakly, these words fell from his lips, blabbering some nonsensical things. He still felt up the protrusions on his forehead with his fingers. “Horns?” His voice was shaky and way too high. “Yes, horns. We don’t know what else will appear. You were unconscious for some days.” Mobei-Jun informed him. An unspoken, you know, a lot of demons who look not as human. Maybe you will look like them too, when everything is as it should be. And about those unspoken words, Shang Qinghua’s mind circled for a while. He didn’t want to be ugly. He was mousy, small, and weak already. Please, no more bad stuff!