Chapter 13

Zach slowly approached the SUV. He opened the door and the sight of blood greeted him. His heart fell in his ribcage when his eyes fell on a huddled, shaking figure under the seat.

"Leila..." He breathed out. The amount of relief he felt was something he couldn't explain at that moment.

"Leila. Come out. It's me Zach." He whispered softly. A small whimper sounded in response.

He gulped watching a small head which peeked out. Her teary eyes locked with his.

"It's me. Come out." He held his arms out, unintentionally remembering the old times when she was just a little girl. Whenever she would have nightmare, she always hid under her blanket refusing to come out. Zach sometimes comforted her in the same way.

Leila slowly crawled out from under the seats and threw herself at his chest letting out loud sobs.

"T-th--" She shakily pointed at her clothes that were splattered with someone's blood. Her cries were too hard that she could barely get a word out.

Zach noticed a body on the other side of the car. It was the driver of this car. He must have protected Leila.

"We are going home." He whispered to his sister but she was not able to hear him. She just continued to sob on his chest.

Zach rubbed the back of her head once and gathered her up in his arms. She tightly wrapped her arms around his neck refusing to lift her head from his chest.

He took her to his awaiting car and settled inside.

"It's fine. I'm here. You can stop crying..." He continued whispering soothing words to her. It was new to him, he never expected that days will ever come when he will again find himself comforting her.

When they reached 'Lombardi Mansion', he again picked her now unconscious form up and made his way inside. She had cried herself to sleep.

"Whoa. What happened to baby sister?" Luciano's yell greeted them.

Leila flinched in her sleep causing Zach to glare at him.

"Keep quiet." He hissed at his younger brother, pushing past him all the while Luciano tried to poke Leila's cheek.

"She's still pretty weak." Antonio chuckled bitterly as Zach passed by him following by a worried Angelo. Angelo threw a nasty glare at Antonio on the way.

"Any serious injury?"

"None of that I can see. But she cried a lot." Zach said while kicking the door open of Leila's room. He knew that Angelo still cares a lot about Leila more than anyone. It is different that he doesn't like to show it.

"It's actually valid. She must be terrified. I should have been there." Angelo shook his head regretfully.

"It doesn't matter now. She's safe and unharmed." Zach said as he wiped a stray tear off her cheek.

Both of them quietly left the room and made their way downstairs.

"What will be our next action? Sure we ain't gonna leave that bastard after what he did.." Vincent's calm voice gained their attention.

Carlo was standing along with rest of them. He looked deep in thought but he raised his eyes when he heard Zach and Angelo's footsteps. Angelo nodded at him answering his unasked question.

"Xavier will be back by midnight. It's best that we wait for his return. He will decide what that person's fate is. Until then, Zach, you will find his and his family's current location. Vincent! Make sure that you seize his bank accounts. Antonio and Luciano, burn his warehouses, properties and his everything to ashes." Carlo said in a authoritative tone.

"That's the fun I have been missing." Luciano smirked and he was the first one to leave as he wanted all the smoke.

"Wait for me you crazy idiot!" Antonio yelled after him.

Vincent and Zach left soon leaving Carlo and Angelo alone in the living room.

"I'm going to check up on her again. Come, join me."

Carlo cleared his throat awkwardly and started following his younger brother upstairs.

"Sure. It isn't like I have anything better to do."

Angelo crouched down to place his hand over her forehead. His brows furrowed.

"What's the matter?"

"She's burning up. Stay here for a minute. I will be back." Angelo said already heading in the direction of the door.

"Wait! Why the hell are you leaving me here? What if she wakes up? What am I supposed to do?" Carlo blurted out, his fingers slightly twitching. Angelo just gave him 'are you for real' look and headed out without a word.

Carlo was left in the room to awkwardly stare at Leila's face for next few moments. Suddenly, he leaned down slightly to inspect her carefully.

"I never realized that she's so tiny." He murmured to himself and brushed her hair away from her face.

"She looks fragile and vulnerable. No wonder I don't really get acquainted with her."

"Correct!" Angelo's voice rang in the room. Carlo looked up. He backed away giving Angelo space who sat down beside her and started to place a wet cloth on her forehead.

"She reminds me of mother." Carlo said out of nowhere. Angelo chuckled and gave a small nod.

"She looks like her. Albeit, Leila's personality is different from all of us, even from mother." Carlo nodded back agreeing.

"It must have been so different if our parents were here."

"We can't change fate, Angelo." Carlo placed his hand over his brother's shoulder.

Angelo was cut off by a loud shout downstairs. The door was hurriedly open and Mia entered panting.

"Sir! Someone managed to the security system." She informed them in a serious tone while straightening up.

Angelo was about to stand up, with his hand reaching down to his gun but Carlo patted his shoulder indicating him to sit back down.

"Stay here. Leila's safety is more important. I will handle everything." Carlo looked at Leila's face to notice her eyes open and she was staring at him.

She looked terrified something that Carlo already expected.

"Rest well Leila. We are here to protect you now."

This might be the first time, Leila noticed a sense of concern his eyes and it was all for her. Her lips slightly curled into a small almost invisible smile. Everything was changing and Leila could see that this change was good.

A little insight of the three main families with their respective age

Lambordi Family

Xavier 30
Carlo 29
Angelo 27
Zach 25
Antonio 24
Vincent 22
Lucien 20
Leila 15

●King Family

Gilbert 52
Helena 49
Francesco 29
Andre 24
Alexander 16

●Silas Family

Aurelio 50
Jennet 48 (Remember she is the second wife of Aurelio and mother of Adriano)
Ace 27
Adriano 16

For detailed information, you can refer back to chapter 3 where the Lambordi brothers were officially introduced and in case of other two families, their introductory chapter is 9...