Chapter 8

Chapter 8

The second we got back inside all eyes were on Caden and I. I dropped his hand quickly and kept my eyes averted while my blood crept to my cheeks. I for some reason didn't want people to know about us yet.

Caden frowned but said nothing and stayed close. Kat strutted over to us with Gina, who obviously had a little too much to drink, in tow. Upon arrival something smelled bad, like sour garbage.

I scrunched my nose in disgust. "What the hell is that smell, Kat?"

Kat glared at Gina pointedly. "This one drank too much and threw up."

"Do you have gum or something?" Gina sighed and looked like she was going to pass out. Soon.

"No. Gina are you okay? You don't like right." Caden caught her just as she lost her footing.

"Take her outside and put her in the car. She could stay in there 'til we finish in here." Kat suggested.

Caden took Gina. Brian saw him struggling and went over to help him. Mike came over to us and smiled just as someone in a suit stepped to me. Kat shot me a confused look but said nothing. Another man came followed by two more. Suddenly Kat, Michael, and I were surrounded and no one else seemed to notice.

"Can we he-" a leathered hand clamped down on my my mouth and started pulling me towards the back wall. I tried to put up a struggle but didn't make it far. The man holding me ordered his men to do the same to my friends in Italian. When we reached the back wall, I noticed a small line barely visible even so close. The man tapped it in an array of rapid yet sequenced knocks. Someone tapped back on the other side and opened the door I hadn't even known was there.

The man let out another string of Italian instructions to his men before everything went dark.We walked down a series of hallways and I fought to try and remember my steps until my feet stopped touching the floor.

I groaned in defeat. These men were a lot smarter than I thought. Finally we arrived and I could stand on my own two feet again. The man took his hands off my mouth and the blindfold off my eyes.

We were in a large maroon carpeted office. A burgundy desk with neatly stacked papers was the first thing I noticed. Then it was the huge bookshelf lined along one wall, stacked with a lot of books. It reminded me of Principal Peters' office strange enough. On a little table beside it was something like a mini bar. Filled with expensive wines and rum.

Sitting in a long plush black couch, to the side of the room in front of the bookshelf, sat Hunter who look slightly pale and deeply afraid. Beside me stood an angry Kat and an uncomfortable Mike.

The four men that brought us in here stood in front of the door we came in from. I looked around and noticed there was no other door in the room. I also noticed there were three other men standing guard around the room. No one said anything. Just as I was about to ask for the reason for my being here, my father entered from behind the bookshelf.

Another secret entrance apparently. When my father saw my friends and I standing he grinned at me.

"Adelaide, do invite your friends to sit down," he himself sat behind his desk and watched as Kat and Mike sat next to Hunter. I stood in my place.

When my father frowned I smiled as sweet as possible. "I'm fine Papà."

He spoke Italian to one of his men, asking him to bring him his drink. Then he look at my friends and frowned again.

"I recall saying there were six of them. Yet here I see three." he took a sip while staring at one of his men behind me.

As if on cue, another two men pushed Caden and Brian into the room. Caden looked as though he put up a little struggle but Brian looked like Hunter: terrified.