Chapter 15

Not really proof-read sorry. I'll try to finish the story before I start school again 

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Chapter 15

I stepped out and found Jonathan leaning on the doorframe waiting for me. His arms were crossed as if he were waiting a long time for me.

"All good?" he asked beginning down the hallway.

I nodded. My mind was being occupied with way bigger issues than Caden and I. I followed Jonathan into the dining room where everyone was already seated. My father sat at the head of the table. Jonathan sat to the right of him. To my embarrassment, I was seated between Caden and Jonathan.

Awkward...

Tonight for dinner was pesto salmon and spinach fettuccine sided with spicy garlic bread and a tall glass of white wine (or my favorite: sparkling lemonade). This was my favorite meal in the world which I knew was done by my father's request. He probably felt bad for how my day went. Not only did I break-up with Caden, I invited my ex to stay with us temporarily without telling anyone and I just got into a fight with my sister over her husband's rescue mission.

Unlike usual, I wasn't enjoying my meal. My headache was back and raving. I picked at my dinner, not enjoying it one bit. Jonathan noticed and whispered if I was okay. I nodded and settled for just drinking my juice. Everyone was talking around me. But I wasn't paying attention.

"Adelaide," Caden nudged me. I came back to "reality" I guess. Everyone was watching me.

"Hey you okay?" Gina asked me.

"I-yeah, um, I'm fine." I nodded.

"I asked if you started thinking about what you're gonna do when all of this crap with Anne is over." Caden reiterated.

I took another bite out my salmon. Then I shrugged. To be honest I haven't thought that far into the future. And after tonight I'm not sure I ever will find a need to. Everyone resumed their conversation but I felt eyes on me. When I looked up Brian was staring at me. His expression was somber and I frowned. He excused himself still looking at me.

I was about to excuse myself when my father said that it was time for dessert making Brian reluctantly sit back down. He nodded at me with the slightest jerk of his chin. It was almost imperceivable. I nodded back just as my barely touched plate was taken back into the kitchen. Replacing it was a plate of my favorite dessert: chocolate genoise (like cupcakes) with white chocolate mousse filling.

Normally my mouth would be watering at the sight of these beauties. But today I could barely stomach one of them. I took one bite and choked it down when I noticed my father eyeing me.

"This is the best thing I've ever tasted," Michael gushed. He stuffed another in his mouth. Then he eyed my untouched plate and pointed at it. "You gonna eat that?" he asked his mouth full.

I slid my plate over to him. Kat rolled her eyes while by dad simply watched on. I wiped my mouth and began to get up. "Excuse me."

"A minute, Adelaide," Papá wiped his mouth as a maid cleared our plates.

He moved purposeful down the hall towards his study. I followed him silently staring at the back of his crisp suit. I wondered if my mother use to dress as elegant as he did in the house. When we arrived to his study, Papá ushered me inside before closing the door behind him. He poured himself a drink, Scotch, and sat behind his desk, motioning for me to have a seat as well.

"Are you alright, Addy?" his eyes bore into mine with such intensity I didn't dare lie.

"I've had a lot on my mind, Papá. " I evaded.