Chapter 22

Chapter 22

His mother....Anne is his mother... What the hell?...

As soon as Anne left the room, Luke unlocked my chains and let me free. I stayed as far away from him I possibly could. Adrenaline rushed through my veins now that I was in the same room as the real enemy and traitor. He seemingly got the message and kept his distance.

"Addy, I-"

I put up a hand to stop him. That liar! I thought of him as part of the family and this is what he does to us all. I hated him more than anyone else in the world right now. I leaned against the stone wall behind me and took deep breaths trying to get my energy back. My body hurt all over but I ignored it as I refused to show exactly how weak I was to the enemy.

"I can't believe you would do this, Luke. We trusted you. Eva trusted you! And you lied to us!" I yelled at him.

Luke looked hurt. This guy had the nerve to actually look hurt. "I didn't have a choice Addy, I swear!"

I let out a harsh humorless laugh. "You really think I'm just gonna forgive you and say everything's okay? You've got to be kidding me." I pushed off the wall and faced him. "You were family, Luke. You married my sister knowing that you were just a pawn in Anne's little fucked up game. You put all my friends and family's life in danger without a second thought. You were the spy that kept telling Anne everything about my life so that she would have no surprises. Am I missing something?" I was breathing hard now. There was no way that I would be standing now if it weren't for those vitamins he just gave me.

Wait a minute...

I cut Luke off before he could answer. "Was that really vitamins in my water or did your mommy tell you to say that? What else are you lying about Luke?" I demanded.

"Addy let me explain-"

I gasped. "Is your name even Luke?"

Luke obviously starting to get pissed off, rubbed his face roughly before answering. "Yes my name is Luke. Listen to me. You think you have it bad? Imagine how I feel. My mother, my own mother, is blackmailing me into doing her dirty work. She messed with my relationship with Eva just to get closer to your dad. You think I don't have feelings for Eva? You think I enjoyed keeping this from her, or kidnapping her just so my mother wouldn't kill my father? I love Evelina, with every part of my being. And it absolutely kills me inside that I had to do this. Don't question my intentions about my relationship Adelaide. Ever."

He looked pained and sad and frustrated. If this were a different situation I might've let my guard down and believe him. But I couldn't. Somehow my brain could not register the fact that Luke was anything more than the person who put me and my family's life at risk and tried to kill me.

"Luke, you can't possibly think crying over your little love for my sister is worse than what your mother have put me through. She blew up my home with my grandfather and grandmother in it. She kidnapped one of the only best friends I've ever had in my life and used her as bait to get to me. She attempted to kill me on more than one occasion. Anne ruined my life and sent all knowledge I knew about being a normal teenage girl into a spiraling black hole. I can't go back home and act like I just left for vacation because I have no home! So don't cry to me about your small little problems! I'd give anything to just be worrying about what the love of my life is thinking rather than be fighting for my life!" I spat out upset and heartbroken.

There was some many things rushing through my head and nothing was flowing in order. All I knew was that I was angry and upset about everything. I wish I could just start over and go back to the day I skipped school with Jonathan and our friends to get ice cream. Or maybe I should go back to the day Serenity and I first met at the mall, where she was buying a new jacket and I was stealing one.

Luke broke my train of thoughts. "Addy... you're asking me to choose between Eva and my family. Trust me when I say you would hate to be in my position right now."

"I don't trust you. So I'm not taking your word about anything." I bent over and pulled out my gun from my boot before he could blink and pointed it at him. He put his hand up and took a step back.

"Oh shit." he said as he stared at the gun.

I pushed my hair out of my face and stared into his eyes. "You're going to get me to my sister and my friends or else I will pull this trigger and watch the bullet make a hole right between your fucking eyes. Understand?"

Luke sucked in a breath and nodded. I jerked the gun to the side so he would move and I would follow. He walked slowly with his hands in the air and silently led me to another room. It seemed like Anne took me to some underground liar -like place. All walls were stone and hall was dark and dank.

"Addy is a gun really necessary?" Luke risked a look back at me .

When I didn't answer he let out a sigh and continued down the hallway. Soon he unbolted a door and led me inside.

"Um, Addy, I have to lock back the door just in case my moth- Anne does a sweep. So don't shot." he said. I heard the tremble in his voice as he spoke. There was a dull light shining in the room and I saw a figure lying in a heap in one corner and another one in the other corner. Both were chained to the floor like I was.

"Help me with them ." I said to Luke.

We both rushed over to the furthest corner and helped that person. They groaned and put up a feeble fight. Luke unlocked the chains and sat her up. I gasped and felt tears rush to my eyes.

"Serenity?" I whispered.

She was barely conscious and could only moan in response. I pushed her hair out of her face and examined her. She was skinnier and and beat up. Her lip was swollen and cut. There was a giant black and purple bruise on her cheek. One of her eyes were swollen shut. The sight of her made me want to kill Anne right now. Anyone really. I got up and started to pace.

"Addy you-"

I turned on Luke. "This is your fault. Oh wait no. It's your bitch of a mother's fault!"

Luke bristled. I guess no matter how evil Anne was, she was still his mother. "Hey, just calm down. I didn't think she woul-"

"Shut up!" I screamed. I aimed my gun at him again. "You really think I'm going to believe anything you say right now? All you've done is lie. To Me. My family and friends. To Eva. I'm done with you, Luke. For good."

He was silent after that.

"Addy?" someone croaked.

I rushed over to the other person and put my gun back in my boot. My heart collapsed. There sat my sister wide-eyed and disbelieving. I took Luke's keys and took off Eva's chains. She grabbed her side and stood up using me for support. She stared at Luke who refused to meet her eyes as he concentrated on holding Serenity. I tried to tend to her side but she shot me a look that made me change my mind instantly.

"Eva it's not what you think." Luke tried to reason.

Eva wasn't having it. She continued to stare at hima d we could only imagine what was going through her mind. I saw a hurt expression flash quickly through her eyes when she noticed his ring was missing. She nodded and took off her own ring and threw it on the floor. The sound of its fall echoed in our silence. Eva stared at it as it landed.

"Eva?" Luke looked hurt.

She looked at him and glared. "If you weren't holding that poor girl right now, I would take Addy's gun and shoot you."

She started for the door but turned away towards him one more time.

"When all of this is over, you'll be dead too, Luke."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please vote and comment!!!!!

thanks!!!!!