Chapter 8 (Part 2)

Did everyone want to taste her like a free sample at Baskin Robbins?

Mer looked at Rush again for some sort of sanity, but he just shrugged his shoulders as he sat at the one of the lower bar tables.

"It's up to you. You can refuse him," Remus said as he leaned his chair back so the front legs floated.

Mark remained with his eyes narrowed, his mouth curled up with amusement and desire, and she could feel Neil off to the side beaming dark magic at her. These two vampires were likely both nuts, but Neil had pawed her like a creep without so much as a hello. If giving her blood to Mark would make that jerks blood boil, she could deal with a nip on her fingers.

"A taste. I'm not an open bar," Mer tried to say calmly, but a tremor shook her voice as Mark smirked and pressed his fangs into a fingertip. His fang sliced her flesh, and it felt like the prick of a pin before he sucked on her finger in a lewd way that had heat creeping into her face. With a wink, Mark trailed his remaining fangs over her finger tips and then released her hand back to her care.

"I like you," Mark said with a smile that was truly sinister, his gaze shining with a lust for a worse fate.

"Continue to test me human, I dare you," Neil threatened with a hiss and a low growl, and she gave him space as he strode past to join Remus at the table.

"Maybe if you weren't a spiteful little cretin and asked nicely, she'd treat you better." Mark laughed as he dropped into a chair at Neil's side.

Mer went to where Rush was, and he bid her sit at a table near them as they talked amongst themselves, but it was all pretty boring to listen to. They started out about territorial boundaries and mage incursions, and she wondered why they didn't just pull out a game of risk and get going on that. When Mark started on about his father's hoard or treasures and weapons, Mer wished she had a crayon so she could doodle a little dragon Mark slithering around his cave. It was the politics that killed her. Their voices got real low and she was not struggling to hear that fiasco.

How did vampires even vote their leaders in, Russian roulette? That's how unstably crazy Rush made them out to be, so she wouldn't be surprised. It was all so droll that she was nearly dozing off until Neil ordered a drink. That shot her awake as the male waiter nodded and headed off to the back. Only a few moments later, a girl walked out to the table so frightened that her knees knocked and her hands trembled on her frilled skirt. The poor thing was as short as Neil, and skinny as stick, not something that could defend itself against a vampire. The girl's naturally blond hair was coiled and secured at the back of her head to leave her neck and shoulders completely bare down to the white poofy bar uniform.

Mer couldn't help but linger on how they were the same age, just into college and barely drinking age. The girl bowed politely to Neil, and Mer swallowed hard as he rewarded her kindness with the viciousness of a vampire. Neil grabbed the back of neck with his clawed hand, and yanked her down to the table so hard the girl nearly knocked her head on it. There, he held her down like a struggling lamb before the slaughter and buried his fangs in her throat.