Chapter 4

Mer relaxed onto her carpet to lie on her stomach and read her knew assignment

Mer relaxed onto her carpet to lie on her stomach and read her knew assignment. Without school, at least Rush was kind enough to give her homework to fill the void while he slumbered in his castle. She had a bed and a desk, but there was just something about being on the ground that was comfortable, that and no one would see her through the window and hang her on any offering poles. Chewed on her cinnamon roll, she opened the book to the cover page.

Magic for the Beginner

It took a lot of composure for her to not spit her cinnamon roll back on the plate. This was a book about magic? Why would he want her to learn magic? Wasn't she a dangerous cobra preparing to kill him at any second? Was this really a book? It didn't have an ISBN or anything, but there was an author hand-scrawled under the title.

Darius Shade

This was a book written by the dark creatures. What exactly was she supposed to learn from it? The Shades were Rush's family, weren't they? It would be rude of her to not read it when he'd allowed her to stay where she was most comfortable while he slept.

Learning magic from a vampire.

Chapter One.

As she read it, she was surprised that it was not at all a book for learning dark magic, which was what the Shades used. The first chapter was interestingly about the magic that called to you. It could actually be applied to both magic wielders, light or dark, and she smiled as she flipped the page.

"Each magically inclined person has a magic that calls to them. Even if they do not accept its call and wield that magic, it will eventually find them. That is why it is best for each magic user to figure out what calls to them early on."

"One cannot run from their calling."

Mer set the book down and stared at the line. For her entire life, she'd been running from what had taken her father and mother. People jumped at the idea of something supernatural and magical, but she'd wanted nothing to do with it. Now though, with a vampire owning her and her being deeply entwined in the family business, she had no choice.

What called to her?

"Close your eyes." The book started the activity. "Blank your mind of everything."

That was easier said than done. How did she blank her mind of everything?

Mer tried.

No mages, no family, no vampires, just empty space.

What is calling to me?

Though she tried to keep her mind empty, Rush crept into it and she wondered if he was sleeping peacefully. It had to be bright for him. Likely, he was shaded in his room, buried in his blankets and fast asleep. The man must have tossed and turned all night if he slept at all next to his cobra.