Chapter 5

"Remus Shade

"Remus Shade." Her aunt spat his name every time she said it, and to his face was no exception.

"We asked for the perpetrator. You refused." Rush all but ignored her spite, sitting against the far wall with his arms crossed. Though his position was passive, his eyes were anything but, burning with either loathing, hatred, or both. Rush looked as dangerous as her aunt had warned Mer he was. "The only reason we agreed on an exchange of sacrifices was because the Aurions offered us your direct lineage. Without Darc Aurion's daughter, his line will be extinguished."

Extinguished? Was that what she was? Some flame on a candle to be suffocated until it died.

Rush picked up on her fear and flicked his eyes over to hers in that eerie way vampires did. Emotion she hadn't seen before rolled across them, but it wasn't like the heated ire toward her aunt. Something just as dangerous lingered, possessiveness wound with a desire to devour her. And yes, she meant devour this time. Rush looked like he wanted to consume everything of her, her blood, her soul, her very existence.

Whatever small piece of the man she'd imagined that morning faded quickly back to the beast he was when she was unable to rip her gaze away from his. That was their ability right? Vampires could grab a person's gaze and mold them with their power, destroying them from the inside while they were powerless to flee.

"We are returning now," Rush said, shifting his attention back to her aunt who looked like she wanted to argue. Since Rush had been nice enough to release her from his hold, Mer saved her aunt the time of fighting for her by standing and moving away first.

"It's all right. I knew I was going back," Mer said with resignation.

Luna turned from her and bit back her tears. She would not argue with her daughter.

Mer went to Rush, and she tried not to focus too hard on the sounds of her uncle going to her aunt and their gasped breaths of despair as they couldn't stop this. Rush offered her his hand, and she reached hers up shakily. Mer knew it was time of for her to go back to her cage, but something happened when her fingers touched Rush's cool skin. At first it was a spark, and then it exploded.

Blood covered everything–splattered over half of the wall, soaking into her arm and dripping from her fingertips, and of course it was all over Rush too.

It was his blood.

Rage rolled Rush's lips back, and his fangs clenched together like a beast biting into a steak. Rush twisted his neck like he was controlling their anger but about to break something, and tremors rattled her as she knew this was the end of her life.

Rush's entire right arm that he'd offered was a peeled banana.

Shreds of shriveled flesh rolled up and stuck out on every side, and blood dripped all over her aunt's carpet. It was as if Mer had somehow set a small charge of C4 in the center and blew it. As a vampire, Rush was still able to move the raw flesh and damaged muscle, and he curled it into his chest with a low growl.