Chapter 14

They were sitting outside at a café that wasn't Paul's, in a town she didn't know, and it was daytime

They were sitting outside at a café that wasn't Paul's, in a town she didn't know, and it was daytime. Still morning, Rush was in a black hoody and less rich clothes, as clearly someone wanted him dead. Mer had chosen primarily normal clothes. Being an actual normal person who could function on a social level, she needed no disguise.

The night prior, they had slept outside. Really, they couldn't have found anywhere else to sleep? Not wanting to be seen, Darius had avoided any towns, and they couldn't go to any of their known estates because that might end them up just as dead. Needing to be unconscious for some time, Rush had passed out almost immediately and so had she. Considering Darius wanted her dead, they had slept on opposite sides of some field in a forest somewhere.

While it hadn't been wholly uncomfortable, she had awoken to some bugs crawling on her and then she'd screamed and jumped to the side. That had woken Rush, which reminded her that he was used to her waking up screaming. When he realized she was just trying to get the spiders out of her hair, he calmed.

At least they'd been able to stop by somewhere this morning for a shower. There had been an inn down the street from the café they were at now, and they had showered while Darius picked them up new clothes.

Watching Rush was interesting. Leaning on one hand, he was drinking a cheap coffee, and in a sense, he reminded her of a hobo. The way his eyes were avoiding looking into the light, and how he was huddled all to himself. Why not just put a box on him and set him in the corner with a "please help me" sign. It was a strange thought, but the poor guy looked lost without his home.

Captain L'Oreal was out seeking information about the attack on them, so luckily they were alone again. It wasn't like her to be spiteful, but Darius and his well-groomed locks that rolled down his shoulders in ebony waves, was sort of an ass. While he was willing to admit she'd saved him, he still wanted her dead, didn't listen to a word out of her mouth and gave her deadly stares. They'd probably continue too, because the guy had her pretty miffed and that was when her magic head-crushing aura poured out of her. Enjoy the free meal of magic, you vulture.

Right now, she was okay.

Except for her concern for Rush. At his father's insistence, he was staying awake during the day as that was when attacks would be expected. The last attack had been at dusk just prior to sunset, when a vampire would be weak or just have woken. So, he was testing how staying awake all day went. Probably not well. They'd have to seek shelter soon anyway for her, so she didn't play party piñata with any more of his limbs.

"It'll be okay, Rush." Mer grabbed his attention, and he turned to her, his eyes shadowed by his hood. "If we put an ad out in the paper, I'm sure someone will take you. Do you cook or clean or anything?" That pulled back his drawn tired expression for a smile.

"Please, Meredith." His tone was admonishing but amused, so she couldn't tell if he actually didn't want her to joke about this. Who was she to take a hint anyway?