Chapter 10 (Part 2)

"Now's a pretty poor time

"Now's a pretty poor time. You're good at bad timing." Damien laughed, and there was actual relaxation and happiness with the noise. It was strange being inside of his mind, feeling what he felt. If she was here again though, she must be sleeping soundly. "Now, where do you think you are going?"

It took her a second to realize he was not talking to her, and then a sickening crunch finally registered what she was seeing. Strewn about on the ground, headless torsos lay and black blood seeped into concrete.

"What are you doing?" Mer must have sounded hysterical because Damien's happiness faded from her concern.

"I told you it was a bad time." Damien sprang into the air, and it was hard to get her eyes to focus on anything as he swung what appeared to be a large black scythe through a few more vampires.

Mer could feel their dark energy coursing through the air in a much stronger way than she could as a human as they came at him. They fell to the ground, and she could see Damien's hands as if he were stretching.

"You missed the main event. I already killed the monarch and all his sons. I'm just cleaning up the higher ranking officers."

"Why?" Why was he killing all of them, and why was he happy to do so?

"Well, Dusk, I do what I'm told. It's not really a glamorous lifestyle, but I am okay if what I am killing are vampires."

There was burning rage and hatred in his mind when he said the words. For someone to hate vampires so much, it felt almost as the mages did. Had Damien been a mage? It seemed to her that his rage toward them was much heavier than what a normal person would feel.

"Who told you to kill these vampires?" Mer was curious and yet terrified to wonder about who was pulling Damien's strings. Around her, he was kind, calm, and offered to protect her. How far would that go if his master told him to kill her?

"Vincent Arc. The man is Neil's father, my sire," Damien said, dancing a few steps around another vampire before the scythe cut its head in half.

It was nauseating how with Damien's eyes she could follow the movement and see his face split and explode with black blood as the man fell away. At first, she'd been disoriented, but as her mind calmed in his, it was truly existential how much she felt she was him

"What did these people do to him?" While it really didn't matter, sometimes she wondered if vampires had reasons for their violence.

"Nothing."

Guess not...

"I had been refusing to wipe them out for him because it was a lot of work, but I changed my mind." Damien had been refusing to kill them at his sire's behest? Well, it looked like the man had some wiggle room to refuse orders.